Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Meet Your Faculty – Dr. Marilyn Lavin

Department: Marketing

What was your favorite subject in school? 

If “school” is defined as undergrad college, my favorite subject was American History. The reason is that I had a really great teacher, who really challenged the class to “think.” My grades in the class weren’t the greatest, but I learned a lot.

What was your least favorite subject in school? 

My least favorite course was something called “eschatology and marriage.” Eschatology is the study of “last things – death, etc.—and the instructor had more to say about that than about marriage! It’s the only course for which I actually skipped the final exam; I was a senior and knew my GPA could handle that!

What were you doing before you came to Whitewater?

I worked in Affirmative Action at UW-Madison. I was also finishing my PhD in business there.

What made you want to teach?

Initially, I planned to teach history. I have a PhD in History from Columbia University in addition to a PhD in Business. I wanted to teach because I like to play with ideas, and find it very rewarding when a student finally “gets it.” When I completed the history degree, I was able to get a few temporary adjunct jobs – including two stints at UWW, but it was clear that I’d never find anything permanent in the Madison area (my husband teaches at UW-Madison) and with three young children, long-distance commuting was out of the question. So I decided to re-tool in business. It was a great decision.

What research are you currently working on?

I’m examining how consumers react to behavioral tracking online, and whether they find some types of tracking– for example, via mobile apps– more invasive than others.

What do you like to do outside of the College of Business & Economics?

I love all kinds of water activities. I swim, sail, and canoe. I do water aerobics three times a week.

What is something that students would be surprised to learn about you?

My son was a contestant on College “Jeopardy!”

What is something about teaching that was unexpected when you first began?

I taught a lot of student teachers when I began teaching. The big “surprise” was that when they caught something from their students, they passed it on to me! That’s how I caught German measles!

About Paul Ambrose

Associate Dean, Graduate Business Programs.
This entry was posted in CoBE Staff, Marketing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Location

Hyland Hall
809 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

Connect With Us

• UWW CoBE on Facebook - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • @UWWCoBE on Twitter - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • LinkedIn
  • CoBE News - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online MBA - Wisconsin, USA
  • Videos from CoBE on YouTube - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA