Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Turning a university into a training ground

I was talking to my friend Erica the other day and she told me about a News Gathering class (JOURNLSM 244) she was taking. She was given an assignment to write a report about the economic impact of the Bears-Packers game last Sunday on local Whitewater businesses. After presenting her report in class, her professor, Samuel Martino, responded with a supplementary assignment:

Good work. Now call up the Whitewater registry and get your report published.

I was pleasantly surprised at this sudden transition from a classroom assignment to real world application.

One of the major criticisms of classroom education is that there isn’t enough application of knowledge. In my 4 years at this University with more than 130 credits, I have had only a handful of classes that took me outside the textbook. The Administrative Policy (MGMT 489) syllabus is filled with case studies, and my Security Analysis (FNBSLW 484) class required one stock analysis paper. But I can’t remember any core business classes that challenged me in a real world scenario.

Maybe that’s why internships are so encouraged and respected on a resume. And many employers even expect them.

My question is:

How long before the expectation becomes a requirement? Before the classroom becomes a project room. And before the university becomes a training grounds to prepare for the battle field out there?

Leave your thoughts in comments below.

About Mehul Kar

Senior majoring in Finance. Leader of the social media movement for CoBE.
This entry was posted in Student's Voice and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Turning a university into a training ground

1. Sara says:

I actually had the same exact discussion with Sachie, John, and Maxim. I’m graduating in May and still can’t recall a real application in class of the theories learned in Finance. I could do that with other classes which helped me a lot but unfortunately not in my major. All the projects we worked on are more to get better at working in team than to understand the materiel and see the use of it. Especially when I compare myself to my friends back home who studied in schools of business and where they get much more practise as Finance majors. I was hoping to see the training ground you are talking about before my last year in Whitewater but let’s hope for one for the next Business major students to come!

2. Mehul Kar says:

Sara, I think the paradigm is slowly changing. I think faculty are slowly realizing that traditional education is not sufficient for the needs of the modern student. More and more people are realizing that a college degree no longer sets you apart. I’m sure that in the next 5-10 years, there will be several major changes to the system.

Until then, students must take it upon themselves to create their own training ground.

3. What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

4. You gave us awesome news through your post.

5. In this Tutorial I will be outlining to you how I get my Intagram
    Followers! Instagram has above 100 Million consumers, which is obviously a whole lot!
    Now don’t you wish that a couple of hundreds of the one
    hundred+ Million end users would adhere to you?? It cannot be that difficult to accomplish this taking into consideration the mass amount of consumers that use Instagram.

That’s why I am instructing you all how to get unrestricted Instagram followers!
    I have developed this special instrument which will allow you to
    get a mass volume of followers in a short amount of time.

I will be offering this to the neighborhood out there for every person to
    use!! To get your Instagram Followers, you will
    want to download the software from the url beneath (virus scan is offered
    beneath)

As soon as you have downloaded it, you will just need to have to comply with the limited tutorial I have made
    under!

Once you have carried out that, you will be one stage
    nearer to receiving Thousands of Followers!!

6. Hello Dear, are you really visiting this web site
    daily, if so then you will definitely obtain good experience.

Here is my site Free instagram followers

7. Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

8. facebook says:

It can be continuously edifying to take into account the actual words involving nobel prize victor Odysseus Lionel
    Forbes Dickinson awareness entangles the ton regarding activities.

Astonishingly, this individual won’t ne everything regarding game tricks until eventually
    he or she seemed to be a lot in to their thirties. Both equally astonishing dissatisfaction in addition to unrivaled politics achievement could possibly be approve in order to sport secrets.

Just what could be a great next thing? Only time may inform.
    To replicate, sport tips has had substantial impression inside
    development involving gentleman inside 20 th Hundred years and its particular influence remains stable.
    The idea floods a distance, acclaims scale and is also
    any joy to watch. Just what an unbelievable document.
    At long last the record coming from super-star Christina Paltrow: My spouse and i obtain video game secrets, almost
    nothing even more almost nothing fewer.

Feel free to visit my site; facebook

9. Danuta says:

We’re a flock a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable information
    and work on . You have made ​​an impressive task
    and our all the group be grateful to you .

Unquestionably Account which you stated . Your favorite reason seemed to be at the web easy factor to account of .
    I tell you , i certainly annoyed same as
    any other people people think concerns clear that not recognize about .
    You controlled and also out on all managed to hit the nail on the top no need
    side-effects , others could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

Here is my web-site; webpage (Danuta)

10. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day. It’s always useful to read through content from other authors and practice something from their websites.

11. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now

12. Del Sivay says:

Thank you, I’ve just been searching for information approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have found out so far. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure in regards to the supply?

13. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d certainly appreciate it.

14. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success. If you know of any lease share. Appreciate it!

15. Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic site!

16. wonderful page you’ve got at this time how your comments at
    our site in connection with

17. very good post we have here what is anyone’s thoughts at our web post dealing with

Location

Hyland Hall
809 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

Connect With Us

• UWW CoBE on Facebook - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • @UWWCoBE on Twitter - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • LinkedIn
  • CoBE News - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online MBA - Wisconsin, USA
  • Videos from CoBE on YouTube - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA