1. Tell us about yourself. 

My name is Kate Amerling, and I love anything that is yellow and cheese – both are very happy things. I am a senior this year and will be graduating in December. I try to stay fairly involved on campus and am involved in the American Marketing Association (AMA), Enactus, and I’m in Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, and the Panhellenic Council. Outside of work, orgs., and school, I enjoy being outdoors, crafting, and spending time with friends, family, and dogs. 

2. Tell us a little bit about your department. 

Currently I am the public relations intern for Roberta’s Art Gallery and have been in this position for about a year. As the intern for the gallery, I write blogs, press releases, am on multiple University Center committees, craft, do art projects with Fairhaven residents, and assist with exhibits and receptions. Working within the gallery is something extremely special. Everyone is so kind, understanding, and accepting. Each day that I walk into work I enjoy myself and never feel like I am actually at work – that’s how much fun my job and the people I work with are. 

3. What are your goals for the future?

My future goals consist of many different hopes and dreams, but my most immediate goal is to be hired before I graduate in December 2020. Outside of this, I would like to obtain my masters and doctorates degrees and adopt a dog. 

4. Talk a little about your passions and what motivates you.

I am passionate about social impact, and my future career. Social impact is something that I hold near and dear to my heart. Volunteering, giving back, and just making people smile is something that I live for. This passion is part of why I joined my sorority, my love for working with Fairhaven residents, and doing social impact initiatives through Enactus and AMA. I am a marketing and public relations student, and I absolutely love the world of marketing. It is full of problems to be solved and a need for creative, both of which I am also passionate about. 

5. What does an average workday look like working in the UC?

Personally, there is no average workday at the gallery! Our projects and tasks vary from day to day depending on exhibits, receptions, workshops, and so much more – this is part of what makes working in the gallery so much fun. 

6. How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities and social life?

Trying to create a balancing act isn’t always easy, but I try to work it out! I am an avid user of my planner, color-coding, and using time management. I prioritize what I do by importance and due date and go from there.

7. What are some of your most memorable moments working in the UC?

There are so many memorable moments that I have from working in the UC! One of my favorites is a compilation of moments from working on the new permanent art piece that is between Einstein’s and Willie’s (Leafing Our Mark on Campus). I was a part of this project for a very long period of time and I got to know many professional artists and grow closer with the gallery manager. It was so much fun and is an opportunity I will never forget and forever be grateful for. 

8. Explain a little about the connections you have made working in the UC.

Aside from the professional artists that I previously mentioned, I have made connections with numerous other artists and campus students that I would have never met without working at the UC. Along with this I have connections with the Whitewater Arts Alliance, Whitewater Chamber, Fairhaven, met community members through volunteering at Maxwell Street Days, and many others.

9. Five Favorites:

Food: Potatoes – they can be eaten in SO many forms which make them a super food

Place Visited: Iceland or Costa Rica – these countries are so incredibly beautiful in their own ways

Animal: Sloths – so cute and they’re always smiling

Music Genre: I listen to just about anything, but my favorite playlist is primarily made up of alternative bands

Season: I always go between summer and fall, but I am going to go with summer because I love camping, bonfires, brat fry’s, the sun, the lake, and everything else that comes with it

10. How will the position you have in the UC help you in your future career?

Working in the UC and as the PR intern has taught me so much about working with a team, time management, communication skills, being personable, and so much more. Along with this it has given me confidence within myself, taught me how to be grateful, and showed me how perseverance and dedication can pay off.