• Tell us about yourself.
    • My name is Chynarose Degner and I am from Watertown and Madison, Wisconsin. I’m a senior studying Human Resource Management and Entrepreneurship. I have been very involved in my time at Whitewater as I have been a part of Alpha Sigma Sorority, SHRM, and Order of Omega, all of which I have served on the executive board.
  • Tell us a little bit about your department. 
    • I began as a General Gallery Assistant at Roberta’s Art Gallery at the end of the Spring 2017 semester. I am currently the Student Manager which has provided me a lot of HR experience such as recruiting, interviewing, and training. I am currently leading our recruitment efforts for our Graduate Assistant opening we have which has been a great challenge for me considering we are no longer on campus.
  • What are your goals for the future?
    • Right now, my goal is to get a job in the Human Resources department for a major company. However, my long-term goal is to move to Boise, Idaho and start my family there. I also want to start my own business but I’m not sure what that is going to be yet.

• Talk a little about your passions and what motivates you.
    • I love anything related to art (hence why I applied to work in the Gallery). Lately I have been painting some small canvases just for fun because its really relaxing and stress relieving. I would also say recruiting is one of my major passions and motivations. I love connecting with individuals applying for a job and learning more about them and their goals.
  • What does an average workday look like working in the UC?
    • Since working at home, there hasn’t really been an “average” or “normal” workday but lately I have been contacting applicants and getting them set up for interviews and working with our Gallery Team to make sure we are still connecting to all of our employees and coming up with creative solutions to keep in touch with Whitewater students.

• How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities and social life?
    • A planner for sure. I utilize both a physical planner that I can color code and highlight and my Outlook Calendar. It’s nice to see everything mapped out on my planner for the week but I also need the push notifications on my phone to keep up with different meetings and events. Also living with my best friends makes it easy to hang out and go on adventures during my free time.

• What are some of your most memorable moments working in the UC?
    • There’s not necessarily one particular moment that stands out to me but just the overall friendships I have built while working in the UC. I have met so many amazing people in the Gallery and in other departments throughout the UC. I’m certainly going to miss a lot of people once I graduate.
  • Explain a little about the connections you have made working in the UC.
    • Not only friendships, but I have also made a lot of professional connections in the UC. There have been so many networking opportunities that have helped me build my LinkedIn network and helped build my confidence in socializing at professional events.
  • Five Favorites:
    • Movie: Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
    • Musical artist: Kane Brown or Stevie Nicks
    • Restaurant in Whitewater: Rosa’s or Sweet Spot
    • Ice Cream Flavor: Ben & Jerry’s The Tonight Dough
    • Book: Perks of Being a Wallflower
    • (Clearly I have a hard time narrowing it down to one thing!)

• How will the position you have in the UC help you in your future career?
    • As Student Manager I have gained a lot of managerial experience that can relate directly to a Human Resource Generalist or HR Manager position. From everything relating to Talent Acquisition like recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training, but also to solving employee conflicts, scheduling, and employee evaluations – it’s a lot of stuff but it’s provided me with a well-rounded experience!