What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day-to-day responsibilities?

I supervise three areas/departments; HawkCard Office, Ticket Services, and UC Desktop support. I really appreciate the effort of everyone I work with. 

Like most of the UC staff, there really is not an average day. It could start quietly with an opportunity to check the early morning email. However, a key task I do every day is monitoring the HawkCard server to make sure meal plans, Dining Dollars, Purple Points and other functions are working properly. There could be issues with any of the cash registers on campus, or a problem with the HawkCard system (which all the cash registers connect to for meal plans, Dining Dollars, Purple Points, etc.).  Sometimes, especially at the beginning of each semester, I will monitor the server from home. 

I also try to find time each day to search, drift, and wander around the internet looking for trends and ideas that would help the UC and UW-W. The trends could be tech related, food related, social media and marketing related, security, or other ideas that come to mind.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?

It means I get to work in a high-energy, ever changing, and positive environment. It challenges me to learn something new every day. Working in the UC challenges me to share something new every day with those around me. 

I cannot remember a time when I dreaded coming to work at UW-W and the UC. I had jobs while in college where I did not like going to work and could not wait for the day or summer to end.

What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?

With a long career here, there have been many memorable and/or unusual days. Snowstorms where only a dozen or so staff, including dining services, could make it to the building. The annual Warhawk Bowling Club tournaments that lasted 2 days, Saturday and Sunday, with 14-18 teams. Two major building projects that lasted 18-24 months with lots of changes in and around the building. Watching the original 1958 portion of the building be pulled down by a huge backhoe/excavator in 2006. Watching a specially trained company blast the bedrock under Roberts Art Gallery with explosives, so the gallery and DU could be built as you see it now. Seeing the many changes across campus that have occurred during my career. Maintaining friendships with “students” from my first years working in Warhawk Alley. 

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students?

Do not stop learning! How you learn may/will change over time but the need to learn won’t go away. 

What is an accomplishment you are most proud of?

First, being awarded the Association of College Unions International Region 8 Outstanding Staff Leadership Award.

Second, being part of the first UC LEAP team that recognized the value of on-campus employment for students, the financial rewards it offered, the retention and graduation rate impact and the need for all campus student employment to be recognized as an important factor in student success and graduation. 

Third, accepting an award at a 2019 professional conference, on behalf of the campus, recognizing the marketing and outreach efforts of the HawkCard Office and UC.

What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it? 

The “blueprint” of a bowler that hangs on the wall of my office. The drawing has descriptions of the mechanical/physical processes needed to bowl well and what basic equipment is necessary. It is a reminder of the first half of my career at UW-W when I was the full-time supervisor of Warhawk Alley. I learned how to bowl, and how to teach/coach bowling, while working there. I had the privilege of working with/teaching/advising 100+ students per semester through student employment, PE classes I taught, and advising/coaching the bowling and billiards clubs.