Meet Rhonda Jones, the University Service Program Associate!

1. What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day to day responsibilities?

To be honest with you, there is not an average or typical day in my position in the UC.  Every day is different.  I may be involved in planning an event, hiring or onboarding a student or staff member, ordering supplies for the office, researching a historical event, ordering catering for the gallery, or helping any number of students or staff members

2. What does being a UC employee mean to you?  

Being a UC employee to me means so many things.  If I had to pick one thing, I would say being a UC employee means that I get to help someone. I feel honored when a student comes to me when they need help.  It makes my job worthwhile to help someone out.

3. What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?

I would have to say the most memorable/unusual experience was during the building project when they were doing the renovations to the UC in 2008.  On the north side of the UC the construction workers were trying to dig up the bedrock below the surface of the ground.  They had to use dynamite to do that.  A few of us got to work in the building while it was under construction and every so often, they would sound a horn and that would be the warning that they were getting ready to explode the dynamite off.  It shook the windows and we could feel the building shake a bit.  That was quite the experience.

4. What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students?

If you need to talk to someone or you have a problem, please come to one of the UC Staff members.  Any UC Staff member would be willing to help you out or give you the resources you need to get the help you need.

5. What is an accomplishment that you are most proud of?

I guess that would be going back to school as an adult and getting my degree while raising 3 kids and working part time.  It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it and I believe that I served as a role model to my children.  I wanted to give them the message that no matter where you are in life, you can follow your heart and attain your dreams.

6. What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it?

I have a little squeeze toy of a head on my desk…lol.  When you squeeze it, it says…”Calm down! Relax! Take it Easy!  One of my colleagues gave that to me and it serves as a reminder to breathe when things are getting crazy or I am coming up on a tight deadline and the stress is running a bit high.