Marissa is the Programming Coordinator for UC Entertainment in the UC.

What does an average day look like working in the UC?  What are your day to day responsibilities?

I oversee 7 student employees and we go over marketing plans, promotional ideas, as well as talk about how we can engage with students on social media. An average day for me is interacting with my students to make sure we are on task and ready for our events for the week. I also meet with different departments to see how we would like to collaborate. I am a part of the Reservations Office, so if they need an extra hand I am also there to help them out.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?

Being a UC employee means a lot to me. I love the people I work with as they are all helpful in my learning experience as well a great support system when days get long or stressful. This is such a welcoming place and I get to interact with students every day which helps my day go in the right direction.

What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?  

The most memorable day working in the UC was probably for Warhawks At Night. It is such a great and big event, but it makes the day long. However, this past year I was able to help create the giant balloon Willie the Warhawk which was an awesome experience and some great bonding time for my team.

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students?

Get involved. There are so many opportunities that present themselves when you get involved. This helps you network and get to meet people with the same interests as you. Really try out some new things and find something you’re truly passionate about. Take advantage of that and see where it can take you. 

What is an accomplishment that you are most proud of?

When I was a Sophomore in college, I came up with a plan to create an event for my church back home. We have this beautiful green space and we weren’t utilizing it. The event was called Peace Outand it was a huge success. We had adult and children activites, a DeeJay, inflatables, and multiple food vendors. Any money that was made at this event went back out into the community to a youth organization. That first year we raised over $700 and it was a huge success.

What is your favorite item in your office/desk?  Is there a story behind it?

Right now I have about 50 rubber ducks in my office since I was pranked over the summer. I continue to find them as I work throughout the day in places I rarely have to use. Its quite amusing and brings back fun memories with coworkers.