Many of you are graduating in the coming weeks, and one important aspect of entering the real world is being able to get up and be productive in the morning. I have had a lot of practice with this in college, and wanted to share some tips I’ve learned on how to become a morning person!

1. Get enough sleep

First, you will need to get enough sleep, ideally eight hours or more. Sleep is essential to starting your day off right, and it is difficult to want to get up early if you didn’t get enough sleep. I know many college students who will stay up until 3:00 AM and then take a nap after class. While this may work now it won’t always work in your schedule, so it is important to practice while you can.

1. Eat a big breakfast

They aren’t lying when they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you start your day off by eating a good breakfast it gets you in a better mindset to get through the day. Personally, I think that having a good breakfast helps me to stay focused in the morning. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, even just toast and eggs, but the idea is that your body has something to provide energy. I hate to break it to some of you, but coffee does not count as breakfast.

1. Get a good alarm clock

If you don’t have a good alarm clock, you probably won’t get up in the morning. It is important to make sure that you have an alarm clock that you will wake up to. While a phone is convenient, sometimes you wake up easier if you have to move to turn your alarm off. If you put your alarm clock far enough away from your bed that you have to get up, you will probably wake up faster. While a phone is easy to use, sometimes things happen and your alarm may not go off. For example, if something happens to your charger and your phone stops charging then you’ll never hear it. Having a backup option never hurts!

1. Do something when you wake up

While it is tempting to stay in bed when you wake up in the morning, it helps to get up and start moving. Starting your morning by being proactive can make you adjust to waking up early, and will make you feel more awake. You could do yoga, go for a run, watch the morning news, work on homework, basically anything. When I start my mornings by doing something productive I am more productive for the rest of the day.

1. Find joy in the morning

It’s kind of corny, but if you convince yourself you like the morning you might start to actually enjoy them. The morning hours are nice because there is a sense of peace you don’t really see throughout the rest of the day. If you don’t already enjoy early mornings, you can start by finding little things to enjoy. It might be a special coffee you drink only in the mornings or taking the time to make a nice breakfast. Once you get used to waking up earlier, you will be able to enjoy it even more!

Adjusting to getting up early is not easy, but it is possible! Using these tips, you can start to adjust, and maybe even start enjoying the mornings. Congratulations to all those graduating this semester! I hope these tips can help you prepare for your jobs after college and help your mornings go smoother!