Bob Barry is the Executive Director of the University Center.

What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day to day responsibilities?  My day is spent orchestrating, making sure all of the team members are moving in the same direction toward University, Student Affairs and University Center goals. This entails ensuring that everyone is communicating and working together to create visions of the desired outcomes and achieving these outcomes.  I have a lot of meetings and spend a lot of time with emails to help build and maintain relationships so that the organization meets its goals.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?  Pride.  I’m proud of being a UC employee because we get things done, we live up to our word.  Integrity is important to me and I am happy that the UC has a reputation for integrity across campus.  Even if it’s not our area of responsibility, we jump in to help, either taking on the task or directing people to someone who can.  We do this because we have a great team, empowered to do their best without a lot of constraints.  We have great people, I’m very proud of the team.

What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?   Opening the building in 2008 after the remodel was completed.  On the big day of celebration, just before the crowd arrived, the kitchen equipment set off the ceiling sprinklers in the Commons kitchen and the fire department swarmed into the building. We cleaned up and the show went on. What a beautiful building it turned out to be.

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students? Have a plan for your life and stick to it.  Integrity will get you a lot in life, it helps build positive relationships that will help you be successful but you have to have integrity with yourself too.  This is done by being true to your plan for life; being true to yourself. When you stray, pick yourself back up and get back onto the path you’ve chosen for yourself.

What is an accomplishment that you are most proud of? I’m proud of being a first generation college graduate and finding myself leading a team of such great people that work for the UC.  It’s humbling to find myself in my role as an executive director.  So many contribute to my success.

What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it?  That would be my misfit works of art.  One is a mirror my little sister made for me when she was in eighth grade.  We lost her to a car accident 24 years ago when she was 21 years old.  That mirror means a lot to me.  Other pieces of art were rescued from dumpsters. I’m proud that I saved them from the landfill and gave them new life.  I can relate to them.