Miguel Aranda is the Financial Specialist at the University Center.

What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day to day responsibilities?

It is always a joy greeting co-workers in the morning before preparing for the daily tasks.

Our highest priority is distributing the cash bags to the various UC units we serve, and to reconcile and deposit revenue made by the same UC units immediately. The other top priority is assisting in credit card auditing.  We look for inappropriate activity such as Split Payments, paying for taxes, purchasing from ineligible vendors, and so forth.

The latter half of the day may consists of processing invoices, payments, and/or purchasing orders, transferring of funds, commission reporting, committee work, and hopefully providing the UC Finance staff with the skills necessary to be ready for after their undergraduate career.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?

An employee of integrity, engaging, someone who takes accountability, creative, and who solves problems.  I take pride in being a UC employee, and being part of a leading team.

What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?

In my previous position on campus, I was more of a lone wolf and a jack-of-all-trades.  Within the UC, simply the level of daily human interaction with co-workers at meetings and committees has been an appreciative moment.

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UW-W students?

Leave your ego at the door.  Try your best, and don’t be afraid to fail.  Be open, flexible, and adaptable to the dynamics of your surroundings especially when you are not the expert.  It’s okay to be in scenes of conflict, but make sure to transform that conflict into positive outcomes.  And, please don’t forget to say your “thank you’s” and your “please’s” to everyone– not just the people you are attempting to please.

What is an accomplishment that you are most proud of?

Being a father and to be living in the wondrous concept of raising little people.

What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it?

My favorite item would have to be my UW-Whitewater Staff Excellence Award.  It is an award in which nominations are discussed among committees and the former UW-Whitewater Chancellor Telfer, who I admire. Receiving the award is a great sign to me that my work does not go unnoticed, and that authentic recognition is important to everyone.