1. What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day to day responsibilities? An average day for me depends on the day of the week, and whether or not it’s an event day. On non-event days I have a lot of meetings with colleagues and the students I supervise (Entertainment Assistants), I help the Entertainment Assistants prepare for their upcoming events, communicate with agents, update spreadsheets with attendance, revenue, and budget data as needed. I also am responsible for coordinating the UW-Whitewater delegation’s trip to the National Association for Campus Activities Northern Plains regional conference, which takes place during the Spring semester each year. Presently, I am spending some time preparing for UC Entertainment’s SUFAC hearing, which will help us to begin planning for the 2017-18 school year. On event days, I often find myself helping the Entertainment Assistants walk through their responsibilities for the event itself, as well as gathering resources for the following weeks’ events. The Entertainment Assistants are in and out of the office all week, and when they are in to work, they need to complete tasks for upcoming events, and I help them obtain the resources needed to complete these tasks.
  2. What does being a UC employee mean to you? Being an employee of the University Center means being a part of a community who provides a safe and welcoming environment to students, and at the same time providing educational and professional opportunities to students while expanding on my own professional development.
  3. What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC? Recently, we hosted magician Daniel Martin. This was a fun and challenging event for the students as well as myself. We had our largest audience to date, and an incredibly successful event, and the logistics were a little different than our usual live entertainment events in the Down Under. The Entertainment Assistant responsible for this event was taking lead on his first event, and was a bit nervous about all of the logistics. Daniel Martin had very specific requirements for his show, and we had to make some adjustments in our event preparations, which just happened to draw more attention to the Down Under and the show itself. The performance was amazing, and he even hung around for a special aftershow for those who worked the event. The Entertainment Assistants did a fabulous job with this event and enjoyed the work, so much so that we intend to host more of this type of event in the future.
  4. What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students? Take advantage of opportunities that will help you develop new skills and build on your prior experiences to create the life and career you want.
  5. What is an accomplishment you are most proud of? When I was in Kindergarten my main goal in life was to work for Kenny Rogers. After college, I moved to Nashville and did just that. I worked for Kenny’s agent, handled most of Kenny’s contracts/riders, and dealt directly with Kenny and his manager. It was a dream come true, and he truly is a wonderful person.
  6. What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it? My favorite item is the bright green sign that is posted on the wall above my desk. It shows a giant heart with a ‘g’ in the middle of it and at the bottom says “#peoplelovingpeople.” It’s a sign that I’ve taken to all Garth Brooks concerts since September 2015, and is something he recognizes & acknowledges each time. The hashtag is the name of a song, which I think is (in true Garth form) thought provoking and an important message. During concerts, Garth takes requests from peoples’ signs, and he’s played my request of “People Loving People” at a few concerts in the past two years. It’s a feeling unlike any other for me, so when I look at the sign above my desk, I can’t help but smile.