1. Tell us about yourself. 
    • My name is Kevin Hefferan, I’m currently a senior majoring in Journalism here at UWW. I chose UWW because it is close to home. I was also a transfer student and UWW was super compatible with the credits I took at my old school. I toured one other school before making my choice. UWW felt more like home.
  2. Tell us a little bit about your department. 
    • I work in Warhawk Alley. I am a front desk attendant and the Tournament Coordinator. Overall, we provide students with a 10 lane bowling alley, 8 billiards tables, tournaments, free video games and lawn game rentals.
    • As the Tournament Coordinator I am in charge of running the weekly tournaments. I plan what tournaments will be held throughout the semester and I also come up with prize ideas that will spark interest in the tournament. I also have to create participant goals for each tournament that would lead us to a profit.
    • As a front desk attendant, I am responsible for setting up lanes for people, handling the cash register (cash, credit card, Purple Points), explain the pricing structure and handing out billiards balls and video games. I also help with bowling classes and team practices for the men’s and women’s teams on campus. Another aspect to the job is the lane mechanics. If I am working alone, I am in charge of fixing the lanes when they go down: whether it be a pin jam, a stuck ball, or the sweep is stuck down.
  3. What are your goals for the future?
    • I hope to obtain a job in the broadcasting field. I like the idea of being a Promotions Coordinator for a radio station. This would let me use both my journalism and public relations background. Other than work, I want to live a comfortable life with a family of my own.
  4. Talk a little about your passions and what motivates you.
    • One of my biggest motivations is this quote: “Some people die at 25 and are buried at 60.” The first time I read that I was like, “what?” Now I get it. I can’t let myself get stuck in a rut when I am young. This quote motivates me to explore the world, literally. I want to see what is out there. I don’t want to go through the motions the rest of my life.
  5. What does an average workday look like working in the UC?
    • An average day for me involves giving exemplary customer service to students who come to Warhawk Alley, planning tournaments, updating prize lists, making sure I am ready for the week’s tournament, promoting the tournament, posting on social media, etc. I guess what I am trying to say is that there isn’t an average day for my position(s).
  6. How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities and social life.
    • School comes first. I am here at UW-Whitewater to better myself through my education. I have to make sure that I have all of my assignments done before going out on the weekends or just binge watching a show on Netflix. Work comes second for me. For my school work and work at Warhawk Alley I keep a “to-do” list and check everything off as I complete them.
  7. What are some of your most memorable moments working in the UC?
    • Over half of the time I have been working here, I have spent laughing. I had the opportunity to go to an ACUI conference in the Twin Cities and that was one of the best experiences I have had. I grew personally and professionally on that trip.
  8. Explain a little about the connections you have made working in the UC.
    • I have worked with a lot of the professional staff here in the UC. I have made a great connection with my boss, Tonia Harvel. In the two short years I have spent at UWW, I know I have found numerous people who will help me get to the next point in my life.
  9. Five Favorites:
    • Favorite movie: Boyhood
    • Favorite musical artist: The Brothers Osbourne.
    • Favorite location in Whitewater: My apartment.
    • Favorite food: This is hard.
    • Favorite travel destination: If there’s a beach, I’m good. But like a nice beach, with sand and clear water.
  10. How will the position you have in the UC help you in your future career?
    • I know it will help me get a job in promotions or event planning. I have put together a great resume that my boss has helped me perfect. I know that I successfully applied this job to make it applicable to my future. If you’re wondering why a journalism major should work at a bowling alley, come let me tell you why. I never would have thought I would get the experiences I have now from working at a college bowling alley. It’s so much more than that.