1. Tell us about yourself.

My name is Derek Loreti and I am a Senior majoring in Communications electronic media and minoring in english. I chose UW-Whitewater because it was the only other place I applied to other than NMU but my brother went here as well and he loved it so I figured I would give it a shot.

1. Tell us a little bit about the UC Department you work for.

I work in UC Graphics and Marketing as the Videographer. Our department works on promoting all events that the University Center puts on. We create posters, digital signage, videos and much more to inform the student body about our campus and events. My position specifically does a lot with making videos for UC departments to promote their services. I also make a lot of videos for the Permanent Artwork Tour, which is a collection of artwork in the UC from a wide range of artists.

1. What are your goals for the future?

The dream is Hollywood! I would love to start with writing screenplays and eventually direct at least one feature length film in my life. If I don’t get that I will likely invest in a warehouse, and create a studio where people can rent out space or equipment for their own productions.

1. Talk a little about your passions and what motivates you.

I am motivated by positive messages. Anytime I can incorporate a meaningful message in my work I think I’ve done my job. It’s not that people don’t know the message already but it’s never bad to have a reminder every once in a while.

1. What does an average workday look like working in the UC?

Get in, check emails to see if there’s any new info I should know about, look at my notes of where I left off and what needs to be done, and then it’s editing video for the most part. Shoots are generally shorter since the videos tend to be in the 1-3 minute range and a lot of them also incorporate pictures rather than video (such as the Permanent Artwork Tour videos). There is likely a meeting or two throughout the week for the projects I am currently working on as well.

1. How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities and social life.

Work usually stays within the hours I am in the office (there are a few exceptions). Being a senior I have a larger project I am working on that takes up a lot of time. With that project and three other classes I tend to focus during the week and get as much done as I can. I do it this way so I can leave the weekends free for my personal time.

1. What are some of your most memorable moments working in the UC?

I wouldn’t say the moments that happen are as memorable as the people. Great moments happen everyday in the office but the people of the UC create them.

1. Explain a little about the connections you have made working in the UC.

I’ve gotten to know a lot of people through this job, more so in my own department, obviously. Regardless, the people here are great. Whether it’s lending a helping hand, getting input on work, listening to stories or just talking and joking about anything, everyone makes it easy to connect.

1. Five Favorites:
    1. Favorite movie: Donnie Darko
    2. Favorite musical artist: Split between Third Eye Blind and The Head & the Heart
    3. Favorite location in Whitewater: Jessica’s
    4. Favorite food: Impossible to pick
    5. Favorite travel destination: Park City, Utah
  2. How will the position you have in the UC help you in your future career?

It’s helped me grow a lot in my field. I came into the job thinking I was going to make videos my way but this job has definitely given me better communication skills by talking to the departments about what we can do to have a balance of both styles of video.