Name: Rhonda Jones

Position in the UC: University Services Program Associate

1. What does an average day look like working in the UC? What are your day to day responsibilities?

To be honest, I don’t think that I have ever had an average day working in the UC. My responsibilities are so versatile, that I don’t ever really do the same thing day after day. I can probably better explain some of the things that I am involved in, rather than what an average day looks like.

I am heavily involved in the UC HR department. I am involved with almost every student or staff member that gets hired in the UC. I am also the UC contact or liaison for the UW-Whitewater Human Resources and Diversity department.

I am involved when students and/or staff travel. Whenever any UC staff member or student travels for the university, I either am involved in arranging for their travel or helping them to create or proof their travel report that must be turned in to UW Financial Services department for reimbursement for expenses.

I am also involved with many committees. I have been on the “End of Semester” planning committee, every semester I believe, since I started working in the UC almost 14 years ago. I am involved in the “Summer on the Mall” planning committee, the “UC Orientation” committee and I have been on the “UC Open House” committee for the last 2 years.

I am also support for many of the staff members in the UC. If a staff member needs something, they generally know they can come to me for whatever support they may need. I usually do all of the ordering of supplies for UC staff and I am involved in payroll for UC student employees.

I am involved in taking care of the UC apparel by making sure every student employee has UC apparel and a name tag when they are hired and I am also involved in making sure we get the apparel back when the student is done working for the UC. We have to keep track by entering the Apparel Agreement forms into a binder and keeping a close eye on the inventory so we know when we need to reorder more apparel.

I am also involved in many of Roberta’s Art Gallery events. We hold a “Gallery Leads” meeting once a week and a Gallery (all staff) meeting once a month. I also do all of the shopping for the gallery workshops or any other UC event that we may need supplies for.

I am involved in all meetings that deal with the UC HR Interns and the UC Administration student employees. I also take care of the bills that come to the UC for payment.

I am also involved in LEAP and have served on a LEAP Team where we developed a plan for opening and sustaining the Campus Reflection Space. I am now the liaison for the Reflection Space and serve on the Worksite Wellness committee as a result.

Well, those are many of the things that I am involved in at the UC. Other items would probably fall under the “other duties as assigned” category. There is one thing that I can say for sure and that is I am never ever bored at my job!

1. What does being a UC employee mean to you?

To me, being a UC employee is a privilege. I absolutely love my job! Working in the UC means that I get to be involved in the lives of so many of the student employees that we employ. I know that I have been called the “UC Mom.” I think that is because I can relate to many of the students who I work so closely with. Someone once told me that if you love what you do, then it’s not really work. I agree with that statement. Being a UC employee is like being a part of a big family. You get to form and build relationships that you might not otherwise have had the opportunity to do.

1. What has been the most memorable/unusual day working in the UC?

I have had so many memorable experiences in the UC, but I think the most memorable day would have to be my first day of work in the UC. When I came into work on my first day, there were balloons and streamers on my desk and a sign taped to my computer welcoming me to my new job. I have never had an experience like that before in any other job that I have ever had. It was the most unusual and memorable experience that I have ever experienced at a job. It was great!

1. What is one piece of advice you can give to current UWW students?

Don’t settle into a job that you are not sure you are going to like. Make sure that you do something that you love to do. If you take this advice then you won’t dread getting up and going to work every day. It won’t really be like having a job, it will just be “living,” and having fun while you are doing it.

1. What is an accomplishment that you are most proud of?

I would have to say, “Still loving my job after 14 years of service.” I have never been able to say that about any other place that I have ever worked before.

1. What is your favorite item in your office/desk? Is there a story behind it?

I have many photos of my youngest daughter on my desk at various ages of her life. I had my youngest daughter later in life and she is one of the biggest blessings that I have been given. While she is not my favorite child (because as a parent, you don’t have favorites), but her photo is my favorite item on my desk.