KatieDavisName: Katie Davis
Graduation Date: December 2017
Major/Minor: Early Childhood Education with a minor in Psychology
Position in the UC and Dates Worked: Roberta’s Art Gallery: General Gallery Assistant: Spring 2014-Fall 2014; Workshop Lead: Fall 2014 – present

Five Favorites
Disney princess: It’s a tie between Rapunzel (Tangled) and Tiana (Princess and the Frog)

Culvers custard: Vanilla with hot fudge and caramel
Children’s book: Harold and the Purple Crayon
Dream movie role: Any romantic role that involves Robert Downey Jr.
Quote: “A person’s a person no matter how small.” -Dr. Seuss

What do you enjoy most about working in the UC as Roberta’s Art Gallery Workshop Lead?
The staff that I work with are an absolute joy to be around. I have made so many great friends and connections through my job over the past year and a half. It’s really special that I can walk into the gallery every day and be greeted with smiles, and know that these people really care about me!

Other than my co-workers, I really enjoy the opportunities that I have as an employee in the UC.  In fact, on April 8th I had the amazing chance to go to San Antonio, Texas with a few other student employees and professional staff, for the annual Association of College Unions International conference.  It was such a great time, and I was able to meet many other people who work in college unions and we were able to share stories and ideas.

What all goes into planning a workshop?
Planning a workshop is probably a bit more intense than you would expect.  At the beginning of the semester, I am expected to put together a workshop lineup for the semester.  This involves coming up with the activity, scheduling the workshop so that it doesn’t interfere with other UC events such as gallery receptions, reserving a room, ordering catering (can’t have a workshop without snacks!), and requesting promotional materials.

After the initial line up is made, I am responsible for gathering supplies, making sample, and promoting the workshops through our email list (if you would like to join the workshop email list you can email ucart@uww.edu!).

On the day of the workshop, some of the gallery staff and I set up the room, greet participants, assist participants through the activity, and then clean up! Workshop Lead is a big job, but it is very fun and rewarding!

Which workshop, exhibit, or other event has been your favorite during your time working in the gallery? Why?
Tie-dye! During the Involvement Fair at the beginning of the year, Roberta’s Art Gallery puts on a large-scale tie-dying workshop outside the UC.  This school year was my first year being involved in the workshop, and I absolutely loved it.  I got the chance to interact with so many different students and faculty!  I remember having to leave the workshop early to get to class, and I just didn’t want to go, I was having too much fun!

What are your future plans for working in the UC? What do you all hope to accomplish before you graduate?
I plan to stick around in the UC for as long as I’m here at UW-W, whether it’s Workshop Lead, or some other position. I have found a great community to be a part of, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything!  It has impacted my college career in so many ways.

Before I graduate I hope to make my mark here on this campus. UW-Whitewater has been a huge part in my life as far as personal development.  Since coming here as a freshman, I have made so many positive changes in myself, and I have learned (and continue to learn) who I am as a person.  I want to do something for this campus that has been such an amazing part of my life.

How do you plan to use the skills you’re developing as Workshop Lead in your future profession as a teacher?
Being the Workshop Lead is so beneficial for me in terms of professional development.  Not only do I get to be involved with the students on campus, but I get to work with professional staff as well.  The relationships that I have made with professional staff are so important for my communication skills.  I now feel more confident in speaking with a wide variety of people who come from various departments.   

Also, the planning that goes into workshop is a great experience that will translate well to a classroom setting.  I am learning how to be plan ahead well, be prepared (even for things that may not go as planned!), and be efficient in clean up (necessary for an early childhood classroom with many busy bodies!).