So, you’ve heard that the University Center is hiring but you aren’t sure about applying because you’ve got a million things on your plate.  Adding a job is just out of the question.  Or is it?…

Take it from me, you can do it!  The UC is a wonderful place to work with many amazing opportunities for personal and professional growth.  As a member of the Early Childhood Education program here at UW-Whitewater, I KNOW what it means to be busy!  We have some pretty crazy schedules and our classes require huge time commitments. I’m sure all of you out there have similar stories, that’s just how it is to be a college student, right?  Another part of being in college is the struggle for money.  We’ve all felt it one way or another.  It seems impractical to go to school and not work, but how to you even find the time to work?!

Enter: UC life!

I started working at the UC a little over a year ago, and my job has been so flexible with my life.  Also, since the UC is right in the middle of campus, it is SO convenient!  I could even squeeze in an hour or two of work between classes if I wanted to!

Let’s look at a typical day for me, the normal, busy, struggling college student!

• 7:00am – 10:00am: I start my morning by going to my field placement for my education major.  I spend a few hours there, and then head back to Whitewater
  • 10:00am – 12:00pm: Open up the gallery in the UC.  My job is great because I am getting to do all sorts of real-world things.  I am able to work alongside professional staff daily.  I am in constant communication with co-workers and supervisors in order to assure that the operations in the gallery are running smoothly.  I even have the opportunity to work with different departments in the building.  Take workshop planning for example.  I am responsible for the following: reserving a room through reservations, ordering food through dining services, and promoting the event through graphics and marketing.
  • 12:00pm-4:00pm:  Classes!
  • 4:00pm-5:00pm:  Student Marketing Meeting.  My job offers so many cool involvement opportunities!  One of my favorites is the Student Marketing Committee.  We get to learn about different aspects of marketing and branding.  We are the ones who brought you the #intheUC campaign! This is a great way to connect with other student workers.
  • 5:00pm – 6:00pm: Head back to work for an hour, and close up shop!
  • 6:00pm – the wee hours of the night: homework, food, friends, student orgs, you name it!

Well, there you have it. Told you you could do it… I can! I might not work all that often, but it’s enough for some cash in my pocket AND some awesome opportunities to better myself personally and professionally!

One more note before I leave you to work on that application… Working in the UC is for ALL majors, and ALL ages.  I work in an art gallery, and I’m studying education. I work with freshmen all the way to super seniors. It doesn’t matter, the experience is beneficial for everyone.

Best of luck, hopefully I’ll be seeing you in UC apparel sometime soon!