Informational Posts

Milk vs. Milk Alternatives

You’re at the grocery store for your weekly shopping trip and you get to the milk section. There’s a couple different kinds of milk, and even more kinds of milk alternatives. How do you choose between all of the options?

Milk is loaded with 13 essential nutrients: protein, calcium, vitamin A, phosphorus, vitamin D, idoine, potassium, zinc, selenium, B2, B3, B5, and B12. Just eight ounces of milk include 16% of your daily protein, 25% of your daily calcium, 15% of your vitamin D, 50% of vitamin B12- the list goes on. Milk alternatives, such as almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, flax milk, etc. have little nutritional value. A huge difference can be seen in protein; one serving of milk has 8 grams, whereas one serving of milk alternatives generally has 0-2 grams. 

Every dairy cow is given a name at birth; meet Tina (412) and Lena (354), my two favorite ladies!

Ingredient wise, milk has three; milk, vitamin A, and vitamin D. Milk alternatives have lists typically with greater than ten ingredients. A main concern of milk alternatives are the high doses of added sugars. One cup of a sweetened milk alternative can have 10-15 grams of added sugars, amounting to over 50% of the daily recommended sugar intake; however, milk has zero added sugars. 

In addition, milk is more cost effective, staying around $0.24 per serving, whereas milk alternatives can range anywhere from $0.40-$1.00 per serving. A much more nutrient dense option at a lower cost? That’s what I’m choosing.

5 Comments

• Samantha Kesich

I personally prefer getting alternative milks like almond and oat, but I definitely learned a lot from you pointing out the nutritional value and the cost difference.

• Tj Bauer

One serving of my oat milk gives me 35% of my daily calcium, and 25% of my vitamin D both are 10 % higher than milk, it also takes less water to produce a gallon of oat milk. Oat milk is very easy to make from home too. Milk alternatives offer just as much if not more nutritional value than cows milk.

• sophiegrieser

Hi Tj,
      Oat milk is definitely one of the more nutrient-dense milk alternatives. One thing to note is that the nutrients in your oat milk are fortified, whereas the ones in milk are all-natural. In addition, you mention that the calcium levels and vitamin D are 10% higher than in milk. If you’re in need of those nutrients in your diet, that can be a great choice, but milk has 50% more protein and half as many carbs in one serving. It just depends on what you want to incorporate into your diet!

• Michael Zawicki

I personally don’t like milk at all unless it is with something. I won’t just drink it so it’s cool to see all of the options and comparisons.