To the Betting Man

Welcome Back!

Here at The Student Section we really only care about a couple things…

Sports
Beer
Gambling

Yes I said it. Gambling.

We’re not just talking “I bet you $5 you wont make this shot.” We are talking about the kind of gambling you lose hair over. You lose sleep over… and inevitably lose money over. Thankfully for me I have put a stop to my losing streak. For once the Parlay hit. For those of you who don’t know what a parlay is… stop reading and forget you ever heard about betting. A parlay is when you think you have more than one bet that is going to win, and you decide you are going to bet them together. Could be two bets, maybe even three, though four or more and you’re biting those fingernails until they’re gone.

Unfortunately I live in a house full of what we like to call “degenerate gamblers.” This is a list of what to expect from a degenerate gambler…

Will sit for hours on end, staring at four TV screens, on an emotional rollercoaster, and expects to win his/her bets.
Is terrified of the word “Lock(ed)”
Will not speak to anyone for days after loosing
Will bet even more to make up for loses

You get the point? I even decided to do my own research on the matter and I found what might be some of the craziest ways to define someone who gambles. To the point this source even claimed someone who gambles a lot is suffering from alcohol abuse! What?! Ladies and gentlemen let me be the first to say if someone ever asks you to join their book, just say no. Run away. Betting is worse of a habit than a young kid eating his boogers. Not even to mention it’s illegal in most states. We were so desperate to bet one time we drove back to Illinois to put down a bet on the Super Bowl… just to lose.

But of course if we are going to talk about sports we have to mention betting and I thought I might as well get it out of the way now. I think movies like Uncut Gems were A. great movies but B. glamorized betting. Many movies do. It’s like this adrenaline rush only junkies have felt before. Barstool Sports, the major company that inspired this kind of blog I am trying to do, even though they are just one big company full of degenerate gamblers. Overall just don’t do it.

Let me know what you guys think! This isn’t a typical Student Section Blog so let me know if you enjoyed this more than the previous blogs! If you have a crazy betting story let me know in the comments! See ya next week.

4 thoughts on “To the Betting Man

1. I really liked this blog talking about gambling. What kind of bets have you done recently? I want to start betting as well but I’m from Illinois and sadly can’t do it here (legally) so I’m probably going to start betting this summer. Can’t wait to lose a lot of money.

• You can bet in Illinois! As of March 2020 the ban of betting in Illinois was lifted. This is where I live. Recently I have just been doing smaller bets on March Madness games. Took Oral Roberts over Florida last night for a decent profit. Really helps fund groceries or gas I love it!

2. Personally, I have never really gotten into sports betting for money due to the lack of money in which I do have. The only time when I do really bet would be right now for march madness. I love the randomness of the NCAA tournament and the fact that anything can happen on any given day. So far, with all the trash that has happened in this tournament I am somehow still in first.

3. I really liked this post here as I’ve tried to get more into sports betting, Yet, I am not sure what applications to use to put bets into. I live in Wisconsin, if that matters. I know sports betting is still illegal here I think? I have used some apps before, but my card was stolen on one of the apps and I had to get another one. I haven’t been back to it, I think it was called bovada. I did some betting on the NBA draft and won a little bit of money though.