Do it for the #gram

For the what??

Instagram was first introduced in 2010 as a website and app where people could post photos and videos to share with their friends. It differed from Facebook as Instagram was a site to just show off pictures rather than a place to share status updates and long posts. It was an app geared towards people who love photography and wanted a platform to share their work. With filters given on Instagram, the ability to change your photos and edit them to become more appealing to those who used the app. However, as it gained popularity, it started to change quickly.

The evolution

Instagram slowly started to change and adapt to the trends of the big, wide, web. From adding story features to live streams to face filters, to messaging, they have really outdone themselves.

Making a living

Instagram has become a business for businesses. Influencer’s base their whole careers and sole income on their following and brand opportunities. Some influencers that I follow have outwardly shared that they make all their income on brand deals. Instagram gives people the opportunity to create their own brand and partner with businesses from all over. In fact, sometimes my feed feels more like an advertising platform than a social network. It is not uncommon to see “sponsored post” or “paid promotion” or #ad tagged at the end of posts. This is Instagram’s new reality and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

As for the future, I only can imagine this platform to grow and new online careers flourishing. Especially now when our world is extremely virtual. Reels, polls, video chatting, what’s next? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

5 Comments

• Nadia Foltz

Hi Anna!

WOW! You pointed out some amazing facts about Instagram. Thank you so much for sharing! I do agree that Instagram is used in today’s society to help promote products more and more. I even follow influencers who promote a lot of products on Instagram. It seems that every three posts at least one is an advertisement. It is crazy how Instagram just came out just for the use of photos with no business attachments. I agree that it is more of a business world on Instagram now because many people are Instagram influencers who post about their life and make a living off of just posting on Instagram. Technology and social media are changing every day! Can’t wait to see what the future of Instagram brings!

• Brianna Olstad

Hi Anna!

It’s crazy to think that Instagram was initially created for photographers. Today, Instagram is mainly used by younger generations to share photos of their friends, families, and experiences. It is also crazy to see the large business platform Instagram has created. Even I have the power to change my personal account into a business page. Why don’t we all start our own businesses?!

• Britney Myerson

I remember when I first got Instagram at 12 or 13 years old and it was completely different back then compared to now. It’s crazy the way that it has grown and developed into a business for so many people. It seems that most social media sites are kind of on the same path as Instagram though, which I also think is crazy. I can’t believe that social media is a job for so many people!

• Sawyer Novara

I think that Instagram being bought by Facebook was kind of like the cherry on top for the turning point of Instagram. Facebook and Instagram do a lot of the same things now to keep themselves consistent with each other. There’s even an option to also post directly to Facebook whenever you make an Instagram post.

• Lauren Foster

I remember when Instagram used to only be about posting random photos or participating in some type of hashtag trend. Now, Instagram is all about celebrities, influencers, advertising, and making sure you post a picture that will gain likes. It’s definitely interesting to watch as Instagram has changed throughout the years.