By: Joey Pumo

The regular season has been over for a week or so now and the playoffs start off next week. This is the time of year where MLS starts releasing regular season awards. I will go over a few of my picks for who I think deserves them from the candidates.

Young Player of the Year

This one has already been awarded to Ricardo Pepi. The FC Dallas and USMNT striker finished the season with 13 goals and 3 assists at just 18 years old. He was running against the likes of Rev’s and Canadian winger Tajon Buchnan and LA Galaxy’s, Mexican American right back Julian Araujo. I am good with Pepi winning it because he had more goal contributions and is younger than both other players respectively.

Defensive Player of the Year

As much as I want Miles Robinson to win it I think it is going to go to Nashville SC and USMNT central defender, Walker Zimmerman. Nashville, despite finishing 3rd in he east, had the least amount of losses than any other team in MLS. They gave up the least amount of goals in MLS and only managed to be beat 4 times all year. Walker Zimmerman is the man who is at the heart of their defense and has to be DPOY.

Goalkeeper of the Year

Matt Turner, is the only right answer for this one. He helped New England to a Supporters’ Shield and break the single season record for points. Matt Turner kept the Rev’s in countless of games making important saves on the way. This one goes to him no doubt.

Goal of the Year

Too many bangers.

MVP

With 16 goals and 12 assists Nashvilles Hany Mukhtar was MLS’s leading point scorer. Mukhtar I think will take the prize over New England Rev’s midfielder Carles Gil who scored 4 goals and had a league leading 18 assists. They both averaged about a goal or an assist every game, I just had to ask myself which stats I think I’d rather have and Mukhtar’s are just too good. If Carles Gil played in more games this could be a different conversation, but for now Hany Mukhtar will be the 2021 MLS MVP.