New Addition to the Team

Posted on February 3rd, 2015 in Uncategorized by Jan Bilgen

Hey Everyone!

It’s the beginning of a new semester which means that things are changing.  Here, in the Student Involvement Office, changes have also been made: new interns have been hired, including me!  My name is Jordan Moncivaiz and I am the new Leadership Intern.

Having a new position comes along with new responsibilities, coworkers, experiences, and more.  Overall, it is giving me opportunities to not only enhance my leadership skills, but to foster new leaders on campus and get them involved.

If you would have asked me in high school, or even in my first year in college, if I considered myself a leader I would have said no.  Because I took advantage of numerous amounts of leadership opportunities available here on campus, I would now call myself a leader.  Now, with myself in my senior year, I can say that I have come a long way. Some of my campus involvement includes me being a Resident Assistant, a Hawk Squad Leader, and a member of Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity, Inc.

Being a leader doesn’t just consist of involving yourself in such activities; one must embody the title all the time. There is a motto in the Greek community that follows: no matter where you are, you are always wearing your letters. This can be applicable to many positions. People know who you are and will associate you with your position, organization, or title.

I recently had the opportunity to interview someone for a position on campus. I asked the applicant, “what is a motto that you live by?” and her response was noteworthy. She responded with “Leadership is acting consistently even when no one else is looking.” I’m sure saying this is easier said than done, but it is something we should try to live by.

With that being said, if you or anyone you know is interested in getting involved on campus whether it be leadership opportunities, community service, or looking for an organization to join, do not be afraid to stop by the Student Involvement Office located in the University Center where either myself, or other interns, will be able to help you achieve your goals.

Be on the lookout every Tuesday for a blog update! Take a peek at the blog “Career Spotlight” as well.  Also, if anyone is interested in writing a post please feel free to contact me.

One Response to 'New Addition to the Team'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'New Addition to the Team'.

1. Hope Schmidt said,

on February 16th, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Wonderful first post, Co! 🙂

Post a comment