Everyday Leadership

Posted on October 9th, 2013 in Perspectives on Leadership,Uncategorized by John Jensen

Hello Leaders,

Anyone that knows me knows that I spend an unusual amount of time browsing the internet, most of this time is spent on YouTube. One of my favorite YouTube channels is the TED channel. For those of you unfamiliar with TED, TED is a channel filled with hundreds of speakers with topics ranging from leadership to science. I have posted numerous TED videos in the past on this blog.

Today I found a video titled “Everyday Leadership can be Achieved by You” (which you can watch below). In this video, the speaker tells a story about how a young woman came up to him on one of his last days of college and told him a story about how he had been one of the most important people in his life. Yet, he had never actually met this woman. To hear the story you will have to watch the video (it’s only a little over 6 minutes).

There are a couple of points in this video that I want to highlight. The speaker asks everyone in the audience if they have had an experience where someone made an impact in their lives that made it better or more meaningful. He then asks how many of them had thanked that person for doing so. Not very many people raised their hand for the second question. It is so important that we thank those that make a positive impact in our lives. “We celebrate birthdays where all you have to do is not die for 365 days. And yet we let people who have made our lives better walk around without knowing it.”

He brings up a quote from Marianne Williamson “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.” This is such a profound perspective of leadership. All too often we stop ourselves from being leaders because we think it is something beyond us. We have decided that leadership is about changing the entire world.

Which brings me to his last point. The speaker says that there is no world, only 6 billion understandings of it. If you change one persons understanding of it, or one persons understanding of how powerful of an agent of change they can be in the world, then we can change everything and redefine leadership.

I definitely recommend that you take a look at this video and think about if you have been creating enough “lollipop moments”.

Until Next Time,
John
“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” – Wayne Dyer

Post a comment