Posted on June 1st, 2012 in Uncategorized by John Jensen

Welcome to the UW-Whitewater Leadership Blog.  This blog is dedicated to providing different perspectives on leadership and helping provide tools to help grow leadership skills that will help you for the rest of your life.

My name is John Jensen and I will be one of the main editors and contributors to this blog.  I am the incoming President of Whitewater Student Government, as well as the President of Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity here at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.  It is my hope that through this blog I will be able to share my knowledge on leadership as well as engage in a learning experience with all the readers of the blog.

I wanted to start out my postings with telling a story that I believe applies to this blog (specifically the photograph at the top of the page)

The first time I came across this story was while reading the book Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.  The following is an excerpt from the book (page 179):

“I heard a nice little story the other day,” Morrie says. He closes his eyes for a moment and I wait.

“Okay. The story is about a little wave, bobbing along in the ocean, having a grand old time. He’s enjoying the wind and the fresh air — until he notices the other waves in front of him, crashing against the shore. ”

“‘My God, this is terrible,’ the wave says ‘Look what’s going to happen to me!'”

“Then along comes another wave. It sees the first wave, looking grim, and it says to him, ‘Why do you look so sad?’ ”

“The first wave says, ‘You don’t understand! We’re all going to crash! All of us waves are going to be nothing! Isn’t it terrible?’ ”

“The second wave says, ‘No, you don’t understand. You’re not a wave, you’re part of the ocean.’”

I find this story to be more and more relevant the more I think about it.  As leaders we must always remember that for a short time we separate ourselves from the rest of our peers as leaders, but at the end of the day we are all a part of something much bigger than ourselves.

I look forward to the upcoming months and engaging in a learning experience with all of you to help improve UW-Whitewater and the world we live in.

Until next time,

“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.” -Marie Curie

Post a comment