The Travel Bug

Signe Trewyn's blog

A Trip Below

Posted by Signe Trewyn on May 26th, 2016

mary_kings_close

Upon setting foot in the building of the Mary King’s Close tour on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland there was an expectation for the tour guide to explain the narrative its history. Tours run every fifteen minutes with tour guides dressed in 17th century clothing. Surprisingly enough, the stories about Mary King’s Close are shockingly true and they are worth exploring and reading about. A clash between tragedy, good and evil exist throughout the tour and it is not difficult to see where these themes exist.

During the first few minutes of the tour, the guide took time to talk about the events that went on with an accent and a sense of fear in his voice. This strategy allowed the audience to feel the fear and sadness of the situations described in each room.

The tour guide pointed out several people who lived in one room. Suddenly, there was yelling to alert people in the street of sewage about to be thrown in the street. The words said by the guide in a suspenseful way by capturing the stress of people living in poor conditions.

The second scene showed a man who had been beaten to death, this was so because his wife had gotten angry with him over money. His wife then ended up heading to England and other places to avoid the penalties of her actions. What the tour guide did was effective by stamping his foot on the floor to emphasize the fact that

The tour showed the Black Plague and the Bubonic Plague and the tour guide explained what happened to the people during that time and what people did to prevent the disease. The guide was suspenseful in explaining the Plague. The guide explained the situation in a low voice and by painting a tragic picture of the two diseases. Before moving on to the next room, he said the next place was supposed to be haunted, he turned his head back to the group and said it in a way that was quiet but suspenseful.

The audience was left at that final word of “haunted” which caused chills through every single person in the room. The doll, named Annie existed in the room and that is where the fear occurred when a Japanese psychic visited the doll’s shrine, the tour guide explained this. The room had a bunch of toys that were said to have been left by the psychic, there was also a lot of money on the ground.

The actual Mary King’s Close was located right at the end of the tour. At this point, this location was history at its finest because it was a long and dark hallway that brought with it a sense of fear. This place was where, the tour guide explained, a lot of the sewage was dumped into the streets, exposing those who worked and lived there. There was a workshop where a man was making saws, he was a part of the Coltheart family. There was an opportunity to look down at what the streets looked like at the time, it was dirty, wet and dark.

The tour guide went over why it was called Mary King’s Close because it was a place with a series of streets and small spaces. Suddenly, a sense of fear crept over the audience at the dark hallway. The end turned out to be the man saying the Mary King’s Close tour is officially closed.

The tour guide was effective as a whole with the early century dress and accent. The most impressive aspect of the tour guide’s talent was the fact that he could be able to scare the audience when he emphasized important words. This allowed the audience to listen to the stories being told and react to what was being said.

87 Responses to “A Trip Below”

1. Jennine Tollinchi Says:

Great blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

2. Jack Says:

I am sure this guide was effective. It was nice to read this article. You can post it https://college-homework-help.org/blog/philosophy-degree here later if you want.

3. fmwhatsapp apk Says:

It is a good idea, very creative and reckless. I really like that boldness 
    fmwhatsapp apk

4. lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks Says:

I went over this web site and I conceive you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to favorites (:.

5. coca Says:

Great information about the trip. I am quite impressed with your trip.
    vex 3 online

6. Buy Furniture nz Says:

Love to read that type of quality information.

7. Jim Rhodes Says:

I would love to learn more about this tour. You can share some details about it https://essayclick.net/blog/gender-role-essay right here. It’s a great idea.

8. sohbet Says:

sohbet sitelerinde hemen bedava sohbet etmeye basla mobil chat odaları

9. streamcomplet Says:

J’apprécie vraiment cet article. J’ai vraiment hâte d’en lire plus. Impressionnant.
    stream complet

10. Marek Says:

Accompanied by a costumed guides (ours was poet Robert Ferguson – aka John), we headed down a dark staircase from the visitor’s centre and emerged into a labyrinth of underground streets connecting buildings with claustrophobic low-ceilinged rooms. The street angles steeply down towards the old Nor Loch at the bottom of the hill.

Today it’s the Princes Street Gardens, but originally it was a marsh turned sewage dump turned spot for dunking witches. With each close being just a few metres wide, you can imagine how dark and oppressive it must have been at the bottom with buildings 1xbet towering up on either side.

The tour took us through a series of rooms, and along the way we heard the stories of the close’s residents, from gravediggers to murderous mother-in-laws – and including Mary King herself. Closes were named after prominent local citizens and in the 1630s Mary was a fabric merchant who set up her own business after her husband died. Impressive for a woman at that time.

11. ONMOVIES APK Says:

I am feeling thankful for sharing such a wonderful work, Onmovies App

12. Rasesh Koirala Says:

It is a nice story, – Security Mesh

13. Darley Team Says:

Contact Darley Aluminium for all your aluminium extrusion needs.

14. Cement Says:

is ece 2201 offered in the summer

15. orkide uzmanı Says:

Orkideler Dünyanın en çok tercih edilen ve hediye edilen çiçekleri içindedir. Orkide dünyası olarak orkidelerin gizemli dünyasını sizler için açıyoruz. Orkide bakımı ve bir çok detayları bu sitede bulacaksınız.

https://orkidedunyasi.net/

16. Patricia Lambert Says:

Hi guys! Our article rewriting service on https://top-papers.com/article-rewriting-service/ is simply meant for students who find it extremely challenging to rewrite their article, improve the content and ideas, as well to get rid of plagiarized parts. One of the main difficulties of academic rewriting is that it takes up a lot of time since it requires a careful and thorough reading of the given text as well as concentrated work on improving its content. The core thing beyond rewriting is that one should change the wording and sentence structures without actually changing the main message of the text.

17. montrom Says:

I think Clash of Clans is one of those games where I completely condone the use of cheats, hacks or mods. This is because of the predatory way they are exploiting the players and making them spend an exorbitant amount of money just to make the playing field even with other players who are also spending a lot of money just to get ahead of the game. So if you have something to beat this game that is free of charge, then by all means, please use it and teach the game creators a lesson about greed. You can visit their website to get some more info stick war legacy or their official blog to stick war legacy on the topic.

18. montrom Says:

click to play

19. ensa bilgisayar Says:

ensa bilgisayar ekran kartı tamiri

20. Maria Says:

Great information about the trip. I am quite impressed with your trip it’s my pleasure click here to visit my page. tnx

21. RMTAP Says:

I love ghost stories and am always happy to visit castles with a guide and where they live

22. turkishsub Says:

watch all Turkish Dramas with English Subtitles free of cost.
    On our website you can watch all old and latest turkish dramas with English Subtitles. Visit our website and watch

https://turkishsub.su/

23. kamerali Says:

sohbetin yeni adresi

24. Busy do Anglii Says:

Przewozy osób do Anglii. Wyjazdy do Wielkiej Brytanii z całej Polski

25. jackson berg Says:

A nice page for the knowledge about trips and exploring the nature of earth. try Dumpsmate Fortinet NSE5_FSM-5.2 Must keep visiting afterwards.

26. girls games Says:

It’s a good article, I hope to hear more from you

27. Myrouterlocall Says:

myrouter.local | linksyssmartwifi.com | http://www.myrouter.local

myrouter.local is the web address which is use to access the linksys smart wi-fi account. search myrouter.local to access linksys account. Myrouter.local is the web address which is use to log in to Linksys smart wi-fi router account from a connected device, then you would like to form use of web address Myrouter.local , linksys smart wi-fi account login will make it possible for you to manage the configurations of a Linksys wireless router. After stepping into the Linksys router setup page, you’ll configure the settings from basic to advanced. You only got to launch an internet browser and into its address bar, as well as you would like to enter http://myrouter.local web address. If you would like to understand the way to log into Linksys router, follow the instructions

https://myrouterlocall.com/

28. jigsaw puzzle Says:

I own 10 RGB riing plus premium edition fans. I with them I have two separate controllers with 5 each on them. I have managed to lose the bridge cable for the two to get them all synced up together. Can anyone give me a link to buy a new one as I seem to be strugging to find it!

29. cookie clicker Says:

I thank you for sharing this much useful information. I find this resource to be of maximum benefit to me. Thank you so much for your hard work.
    flip coin

30. stellahenry Says:

Much obliged for sharing this fascinating Post I do value it a ton. The post utilized here may be valuable or many individuals. Now available Bane Vest For Sale

31. kle do5 Says:

Drift Hunters is now available on gg rankings. Enjoy!

32. geometry dash Says:

Well, that’s a superb article! Thank you for this great information, you write very well which I like very much. I am really impressed by your post.

33. anna Says:

Some of the bride mail services have free trial plans that give mail order bride reviews access to the website for a specific period. You could take this opportunity before deciding if it’s worth your time. The best and most reliable way you could decide about a mail bride order website is by signing up and using the trial plan. While using the free version, focus on navigation, quality of profiles, matchmaking, and communication tools.

34. squidgaming Says:

Honestly, I found something new from this beautiful post. I am really thankful to you for this awesome post

35. Deliver Order Birdes-to-be – Ribertex del Vallés Says:

[…] buy bride web site will want several funds isn’t a rare component anymore, but these prices still https://mailorderbridereview.com/ have to be affordable and cheap. If registering takes you higher than 5 minutes to complete more […]

36. whatsapp status video Says:

Great information about the trip. I am quite impressed with your trip it’s my pleasure click here to visit at ganpati status video download my page. tnx

37. turkish sub Says:

Watch Turkish Series with English Subtitles Free Download
    Turkish123

38. geometry dash Says:

I always like your article because you have provided every time informative post.Thanks!

39. lisa Says:

Their for they are not responsible to take said payment of any kind. The statement clearly states for all debts public and private. the term debts is the key to the phrase.Travel Reviews

40. douglas Says:

I have never read anything like this before. It’s completely bold article which using strong idea to express. I really like it. cookie clicker

41. lisa Says:

Thank you for sharing the information very useful and provide very good knowledge.live pure cleanse

42. lisa Says:

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing the information very useful and provide very good knowledge.

43. lisa Says:

Webomates has integrated solution Webomates CQ which helps companies to test the Mobile app properly and with effectiveness

44. lisa Says:

Honestly, I found something new from this beautiful post. I am really thankful to you for this awesome post.Key West Beaches

45. Michael Levi Says:

Recently, I have started to notice that there are more and more people on the Internet, social networks, etc. he is looking for a soul mate. And let me tell you again that I have not lost anything and that I have absolutely no regrets, something in my life. even better, I became someone else. My friends have known Ukrainian brides on this platform for a long time and do not want to leave because you can find girls of all tastes and easily find one. shared language. I really liked the site, I recommend using it!

46. Claire Beck Says:

Dragon City APK game is one of the most popular games in recent years.

It has already been downloaded more than 100 million times, thanks to its beautiful graphics and high quality.

Besides this game is suitable for all ages, since it also features children’s characters in the Dragon world.

47. VibratingEgg Says:

Vibrating Egg

48. Loveegg Says:

2022 Best Love Egg CANYOX
    Vibrating Egg
    Love Egg
    remote control vibrating egg
    vibrating egg with phone app

49. smart watch Says:

Metalibres is a high tech-company focus on smartwatch and high-tech product. We aim to make life better by using technology. Metalibres isn’t intended to be changing the world, but rippling in your life.

50. Love egg Says:

Women Love Egg
    Meals grade silicone, non-toxic and tasteless, protected for human physique
    Superbly designed feminine ergonomic construction
    Delicate to the contact, easy and waterproof, straightforward to wash
    Wi-fi distant management + 10 vibration modes

51. jasmee Says:

MyTоtаlСоnneсtСоmfоrt Lоgin is very easy process.

52. lisa Says:

I found something new from this beautiful post. I am really thankful to you for this awesome post.

53. wordle game Says:

WOW, thanks infor!

54. Knit flower Says:

Knit flower is artificial flower design. They have become well known for their deigns and have established themselves as a market leader across the globe. We have crafted our own unique designs since 2008 and provide beautiful quality products to all of our loyal customers.
    Each work is hand cut from vintage felt and embroidery fabrics to create an antiqued effect. Each piece is then hand knitted with acrylic yarn into a flower shape .
    https://knitflower.com

55. Knit flower Says:

Welcome to artificial flower , the largest online wholesaler of high quality artificial wedding flowers, baby’s breath plants, silk flowers – all at the lowest wholesale prices. We have been serving customers worldwide with beautifully made artificial wedding flowers, wedding bouquets,
    https://knitflower.com/artificial-flowers/

56. canlisohbet Says:

Welcome to artificial flower , the largest online wholesaler of high quality artificial wedding flowers, baby’s breath plants, silk flowers – all at the lowest wholesale prices. We have been serving customers worldwide with beautifully made artificial wedding flowers, wedding bouquets, good sohbet sitesi

57. roman davis Says:

It is very interesting news for the students because summer has started and now most of the students are eager to go on a trip so that they may also enjoy from the outside natural beauty which has been spread all around us.
    https://www.affordable-dissertation.co.uk/dissertation-writing-services-uk/

58. Christie Angel Says:

Info terbaru <a href="https://www.top1liga228.net/&quot; rel="nofollow situs judi bola terbesar.

59. Christie Angel Says:

Info terbaru situs judi bola terbesar.

60. PRIMEX.HOST Says:

Are you Searching for completely secure WordPress hosting? premix.host deliver completely secure WordPress hosting solutions for your site.

61. 79BONGDA Says:

news.soxo.bet – Nhà cái thể thao, xổ số hàng đầu châu Á. Nơi chúng tôi đem đến cho bạn những trải nghiệm tuyệt vời nhất.
    79BONGDA.COM

62. LUSTROUS.FUN Says:

If you are a 18+ and Fully Maturated active adult entertainer then you can join lustrous.fun which is offering LIST OF BEST ADULT ENTERTAINMENT SITE IN WORLD. This website provides a holistic approach to resolving sexual health problems with the help of some of the BEST WELLNESS PROGRAMS. Are you facing sexual problems – then you can visit lustrous.fun and find the SOLUTION FOR YOUR SEXUAL HEALTH ISSUES.

63. QlickBank Says:

QlickBank #1 Exclusive Affiliate Marketing Network for 2022. As An Advertiser Acquire More Customers Today! Set Your Affiliate Marketing Goal with Qlick Bank.

64. lisa Says:

I will be really very pleased to visit your website. Now I am found that we actually want. I check your website everyday and attempt to learn something from a blog.maldives speed boats

65. lisa Says:

I want to leave a little comment to support and wish you the best of luck. we wish you the best of luck in all your blogging enedevors.male maldives

66. poppy playtime Says:

This is a cool game and if you play it with your friends, you’ll have a lot of fun. One of my close friends working at poppy playtime told me about this game and I have played this game with him quite a few times now. It’s just awesome!

67. JanieRamos Says:

If you want to find a good and effective game emulator application, then DraStic APk https://coimobile.com/drastic/ is the perfect choice for you

68. lisa Says:

It is filled with detailed information. once again thanks for sharing this geographic information. I felt happy while reading this article, hoping on you to go like this for further also…Thank you so much for such a well-written article.Bluetooth Mic

69. abduksA Says:

https://apkmiz.com/

70. mixbowl Says:

You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you
    http://www.mixbowls.com
    https://www.mixbowls.com/category/mixing-bowls/

71. onlyfans apk Says:

The Best Apps and Games For Android

72. JanieRamos Says:

If you’re looking for an endless runner game that’s both fun and challenging, look no further than Subway Surfershttps://coimobile.com/subway-surfers/. This popular mobile game has been downloaded over 1 billion times and features a colorful cast of characters that are sure to keep you entertained. Best of all, it’s free to download and play.

73. lisa Says:

This is absolutely an incredible blog, the ideas and fact shared is so exceptional, this absolutely fantastic. Also, the article is very well written with fascinating contents, the site design is magnificent, sincerely I found enormous joy reading through.musik merchandise

74. lisa Says:

Hi
    This is absolutely an incredible blog, the ideas and fact shared is so exceptional, this absolutely fantastic. Also, the article is very well written with fascinating contents, the site design is magnificent, sincerely I found enormous joy reading through.gaming merchandise

75. freetontech Says:

I have to admit that I’m no stranger to vaping. I’ve been using e-cigarettes for almost a year now and have tried several different models and liquids.

I knew about the dangers of smoking, but what about e-cigarettes? Are they really safer?

First, let’s talk about what an e-cigarette is. An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is basically a battery powered device that vaporizes nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals into an aerosol mist that is inhaled by the user.

The nicotine that is used in e-cigarettes is extracted from tobacco. The liquid also contains propylene glycol and/or glycerin, which are commonly found in food products as well as cosmetics, toothpaste and mouthwash.

The liquid also usually contains flavorings such as fruit, candy, mint or chocolate. Some liquids contain only nicotine (e-juice) while others can contain more than 600 ingredients, including toxic chemicals like diacetyl (the chemical flavorings used for buttery flavors like popcorn), heavy metals like lead and cancer causing chemicals like formaldehyde.

Everyone loves to talk about the wonders of vaporizers, but can a vaporizer really improve your lungs? The answer is a resounding yes! Vaporizers have many health benefits and can help clear tar and bacteria from the lungs. This is especially true for those who have been smoking for years.
    freetontech/

76. Bonanza 138 Says:

Bonanza 138 Agen Slot Online Terpercaya di Indonesia

77. Tonya Hamner Says:

Aweso,e post
    Gameboy Advance Games

78. Bonanza138 Says:

Situs Hiburan Taruhan Terfavorit Saat Ini
    Mari kunjungi link daftar kami ; Bonanza138

79. nytimes crossword Says:

This is a great article, and I appreciate you sharing it. That’s exactly what I was hoping to see, and I hope you’ll continue to share such great content in the future.

80. escort fethiye Says:

81. Bonanza138 Says:

Generate additional income with unlimited nominal depending on the tree you get every week:
    situs slot online Bonanza138
    Offering promotions and experiences you never get anywhere else

82. InGenious Guru Says:

We need a professional web designer with experience (Check In InGeniousGuru), in order to jointly correct the usability of our website with a professional web development, and logo designing, mainly from USA.

83. lisa Says:

Good Awesome article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. It’s interesting, compelling content. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject.การ์ดแต่งงาน

84. https://megagame.vegas/ Says:

Mega Game Online Slot Game https://megagame.vegas/ The newest website 2021, the number 1 slot website

85. Reset AOL Mail Password Says:

Such an amazing site and awesome profile. Will definitely follow you. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.

86. aljanii Says:

watch all spanish daramas here in HD quality ·doramas mp4

87. Super Jackets Says:

I always like your article because you have provided every time informative post.
    nows,
    Now offering real leather leather jacket celebrity and outerwear for men at affordable price. … Shop now from leather jacket celebrity and avail discounts.