Jessica Sponholtz

Volunteer Work

Mission Trips

I’ve gone on several mission trips with a program through my church. Although they took place in high school, I feel they remain applicable and continue to offer value to who I am as a person.

Rose Bud Indian Reservation, South Dakota

My first mission trip took place in a small town called Parmalee, located within the Rose Bud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. With a population of just over 500, the small town was inflicted by unemployment, poverty, and drug abuse. During my week in Parmalee, I read to local children and tried to form relationships with them for the short time I was there. While my impact was probably not immense, the opportunity allowed me to adopt a different worldview and experience a part of the country I was unfamiliar with. I was able to learn more about a different culture and build connections with new people. I remember the name of the elementary school we stayed in and I cherish the memory of swimming in the lake with local children.

Logan, West Virginia

My second mission trip was in Logan, a small mining town located deep in the mountains of West Virginia. Similar to Parmalee, Logan was a sparsely populated town full of poverty and unemployment. My role in Logan was to spend time with the local children during Kids Club, where I was able to meet unique children and create friendship bracelets with them. My favorite time in Logan happened during our trip to the town’s version of the Grand Ole Opry, where we listened to music and line danced together. Another cherished memory I have of this trip was when we visited the local nursing home and sang Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver to the residents. I became to love this song and learned why it’s such an important song to the citizens of Logan.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota

My third mission trip took place in Manderson, South Dakota, a town in the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. This trip stands out to me because I learned a lot about the Lakota culture and was fortunate enough to offer manual labor. I spent my week there painting local houses and meeting local citizens. One memory that stands out is when we learned about the importance of the white buffalo and the sage herb to the culture. We served food to the local people and I saw the beautiful landscapes of South Dakota. Learning about different cultures and making connections with new people are important to mission trip experiences.

Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina

My fourth and final mission trip was in Taylorsville, a beautiful town situated deep within the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. During this trip, I helped tend a local woman’s garden and meet local children during Kids Club. One of my favorite memories from this trip was going hiking and looking out over the Blue Ridge Mountains. I also cherish attending Cowboy Mass, the local weekly sermon. I love to witness new cultures and learn more about different parts of the world.

Other Volunteer Work

In addition to my past mission trips, I also occasionally volunteer through my sister’s first grade classroom where I interact with her students and help around her classroom. During my freshman year, I was apart of group project in which I helped to raise Box Tops for her class.