Best/worst Jobs

So for all you seniors who will be looking for work this next semester, check out this ARTICLE that lists the 10 best and worst states for jobseekers in the USA. Hmm, never been to North Dakota…bet it’s cold. Nebraska is actaully a pretty nice state. Interetingly, all the states I tend to like are somewhere in the middle. Thoughts?

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2914-Job-Info-and-Trends-The-best-and-worst-states-for-job-seekers/?SiteId=cbmsnhp42914&sc_extcmp=JS_2914_home1

5 responses to “Best/worst Jobs”

1. Antonio Mendoza says:

I honestly don’t know what to think about these states that has the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. I would believe that population numbers among some of these states in the middle of the country are smaller than cities with the highest rates of unemployment in the nation. I want to believe that they might pay less for taxes and food and utilities than in big cities on the West and East seaboards, where there is a higher way of living, therefore more people might be pleased to a lower incomes than bigger cities. Another theory could be that these states in the middle have new industries that had created new jobs since some of these industries might have moved away from big cities. It is all great that they have jobs, but what about the quality of living and education in those low rate unemployment states? Yes, they have jobs now, but what about the future, are those jobs will be there for a while or might go away later? Statistics are great but do not show the real facts and kind of jobs available. Some information might be misleading and a deeper analysis of jobs quality and availability should be made in order to take a decision before putting an application.

2. Taylor Viets says:

First of all, I’m only a sophomore but I sure hope the unemployment rates in the first ten states discussed stay the same. Although they might not all be the most desirable as far as working conditions are concerned, their current rates are certainly uplifting in a time of economic uncertainty. I know for one that residing in the Dakotas isn’t on my bucket list. Who knows exactly where my future employment could take me though, so it’s important to have options. Of the states listed, I think Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska would be most desirable to me. For one, they would keep me close to my Midwestern roots I cherish but the three states have also combined to produce over 50,000 jobs over the last few years. On the other hand, if I ever wanted to travel out of my “shell” my job prospects would be much more limited. I’ve always thought the east coast was intriguing but from an employment perspective it doesn’t appear that way. Not only have the unemployment rates been high there, but foreclosure rates have grown and medium household incomes have diminished as well. I’m roughly 2.5-3 years away from entering the “real world” and a lot can change in that amount of time. Who knows I might end up in the middle of the states discussed and wind up finding a job in Wisconsin?

3. Mariah Galarza says:

Honestly some of those states didn’t surprise me with the high realty rates and high unemployment rates, times are really different now a days and getting and maintaining a job is harder than it ever was. The economy play a huge role on the community, workers and the the population in general.
    After reading the different states with the lowest rates, it opened my eyes because those are states that many look over, most people want to move where its more live, more people and ‘opportunity” when in reality those are the states with the jobs and reasonable housing. Now that I have the knowledge of these states i will definitely think twice before I pick a permanent place to live. I may never know what great doors could open for me in those states regardless of the population size or popularity.

4. Janelle Blanks says:

After reading the article honestly I can say that none of those states would be the first pick for me to relocate to after college. Also knowing that I want to relocate this is something that I must take into consideration. I have not thought about looking into unemployment rates for states that I would potentially live in. Now having knowledge on this it is a large factor into what will possibly be called my home one day.

This article is kind of scary to look at because this is my final semester at Whitewater and reality is setting in about getting a job. With that being said its not only important to be marketable to society in the work force but also look for a economy that is doing good. Some of the unemployment rates were not surprising due to the proximity of the area. Hopefully the unemployment rate will decrease for the state of Wisconsin because it’s really high and a lot of people are struggling.

5. Maxwell H. says:

Wow, I’ve never really thought about the relationship between weather climate and employment rate. I find it really interesting that some of the coldest states have some of the lower unemployment rates while some of the warmer states have a really high unemployment rate. Now, this could just be chance or there could really be a correlation between the climate and unemployment rate.