BA/BSE Senior Show

BA/BSE Senior Show

Students in the BA and BSE degree programs exhibit their senior portfolios in this annual review.

Spacer

Alec Matter

Bachelors of Art – Graphic Design

Artist Statement

This culmination of work is my most complete and well crafted work that I have created throughout my time at the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater. Each piece has significant personal value to me both physically and conceptually. The process of making artwork has always been something I’ve used to think through personal issues and dilemmas even if the subject matter doesn’t always relate. Each piece of work represents a story of a time spent in a particular moment of my college life. I enjoyed being able to work with traditional as well as digital media throughout the curriculum. My interest in art started with more traditional mediums and I found a great amount of inspiration through working with them.

Book Cover
Digital, 19.75” x 9.25” Print
Lecture Series Poster
Digital, 16” x 20” Print

Spacer

Alicia Haselden

Area of Emphasis in Art

Artist Statement

My body of artwork focal study consisted of a variety of mediums from drawings, prints, woodwork, metals, and ceramics with my main focal point in the medium ceramics. My artworks normally are inspired by either things that are happening in my life that affect me physically during the time of its creation such as environmental issues, family and/or nature. I also feel most of my work is strongly influenced from growing up in the mountain regions of Southern Oregon. Many of my pieces are heavily influenced by objects found in the regions of Southern Oregon, such as a simple leaf, that by its mere innocence takes you back to days gone by or simpler times like my self as child growing up in the forest there in Southern Oregon. My artwork has been inspired to the point that’s my study of a simple leaf inspired much of my current artwork over the last years as I attempted to form ways of how to portray and capture the images surface upon the surface of clay in every organic detail presenting the physical leaf itself that so you can physically see it within the body of the work of art.

Spacer

A leaf upon a box
Wood and metal, outer box with lid, 8 inches x 7 inches x 7 inches
Inner box 5 inches x 5 inches x 6 inches
My Piggy Bank
Ceramic, 11 inches x 13 inches x 12 ½ inches

Spacer

Ashley Sherwood

Bachelors of Art – Graphic Design

Artist Statement

Throughout this presentation, you will see an emphasis on digital art and campaigns or projects that would be used as examples to show future employers. I took my education very seriously here and I wanted to really dig into what my future clients could want from me. My experience with 3D classes was challenging, but also inspiring. I had made many of my projects that highlighted color, design, and uniformity. Thank you for this experience and also for helping me grow as an artist with direction. 

Spacer

Cyber Surrealist
Photoshop, 16W X 20H, 150 Res.
Chess
Acrylic Paint, 20W X 16H

Spacer

Bailey Meyer

Graphic Design Emphasis

Artist Statement

My work has a simplicity to it that reflects the amount of time, dedication, and hard work to make it successful. What isn’t seen was the hours of research and struggles to get a successful logo, icon, or poster. I take great pride in my work and have a sense of accomplishment succeeding in a finished project with a successful outcome. This drive of mine is what makes me continue in the Graphic Design field and see how far I will be able to push my work.

Spacer

Sonder Son
Sig Tau Cheesecakes!

Spacer

Elizabeth Toth

Bachelors of Art, Graphic Design Emphasis

Artist Statement

Everything that you make as an artist should stand out in the mind of the viewer. Traditional art should provoke powerful thoughts. Good Design should be memorable, provoking only positive thoughts by everyone who looks at it. An impossible task to say the least, but nevertheless, it is one that designers strive to fulfill every day.

Spacer

That Sinking Feeling
Cast aluminum, 6” X 12” X 9”
That Sinking Feeling
Cast aluminum, 6” X 12” X 9”
Lake Kabetogama
Acrylic paint on wood, 20 X 24

Spacer

John M. Donley

Bachelors of Art and Communications

Artist Statement

My artwork is based on themes from my life.  Many of these include my memories of growing up, the people and pets that are important to me, and issues that relate to these important people.  Many of these are also current in today’s politics.  I have tried to intertwine my art with images from my life and important messages about the relevance of relationships in art and in life.  Some of my art intertwines these images with messages about decisions by our government that can affect those relationships and families.  DACA has been a huge part of my life because my best friend is a DACA kid.  As an artist, the images in my work represent something familiar to my life which may also be familiar to anyone.  I try to use these familiar images to help people relate to these common objects or events and engage with empathy in the issues that others face.

Spacer

Chinese Pillow
Terra cotta, 7.5 x 9 x 3 inches
Bella Boo
Acrylics, 30 X 22.5 Inches

Spacer

Megan Helke

Bachelor of Arts – Graphic Design

Artist Statement

My art primarily focuses on the area of graphic design, and with each work I try to create some sort of meaning to the design. Some of my work captures my personal interests/lifestyle, while other aspects of my work simply are meant to help convey a story. I want people to look at my art and understand there is meaning and purpose behind it, even if that meaning may not be glaringly obvious initially. I love letting people interpret my work in their own ways.

Spacer

Chocolate Packaging
Adobe Illustrator + Adobe Dimension
Music Vinyl Album
Adobe Illustrator

Spacer

Meredith Huber

Bachelor of Science in Art Education

Artist Statement

In pursuit of a Bachelor of Science in Art Education, I have taken courses in just about every media over the past four years. My work included in this show includes drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, metalsmithing, and woodworking.  My work is a visual representation of the art skills I have built over my time at UW-Whitewater. My work is also a representation of the personal journey I have had during my time attending university, as each piece houses an impactful concept within the brushstrokes, lines, wood glue, or solder seams.

I look out into the world, and then I look inward.  This has been the theme continually emerging as I create new pieces.  Much of my work is done in earth tones, and includes images and themes from nature. Spending time outside has always lead to very important learning and personal growth experiences for me.  I draw, sculpt, and create pieces as a way of immortalizing experiences that have been impactful for me.  I also tend to create as a way of sharing the experiences I have had with those who view my work.

Now, as I move on from university to pursue a career as an art teacher, I look forward to helping students through their own journeys, and showing them how to use art as a way to work through, document, and express their own ideas, and experiences. 

Spacer

Weekend on the River
35mm Film
8” x 10”
The Old Man
Graphite on Paper 
26” x 22”