Mental Health Information

What are Panic Attacks?

When people suffer from high levels of stress or anxiety, panic attacks can be a common sideaffect. Many people suffer from panic attacks, so what are they?

Well, in defintion terms, a panic attack is a “sudden episode of intense fear or anxiety and physical symptoms, based on a percieved threat rather than imminent danger.” (Mayo Clinic)

Panic attacks can take the form of many symptoms. Sudden increase in heart rate. Sweating. Shaking. Vomiting. Shortness of breath. Depersionalization (feeling of being detached from one’s self). Chills. There are many things that contribute to a panic attack and often differ from person to person. Here’s a list of some common symptoms:

• Racing heart beat
  • Sweating or sensation of heat
  • Chils
  • Knots in stomach/Nausea
  • Shaking or trembling
  • Fidgeting
  • Dizzines/light-headness/feeling faint
  • Fainting
  • Chest pains
  • Pareshesia (numbness)
  • Derealization (feeling of non-reality)
  • Depersonalization (feeling detached from ones self)
  • Fear of dying/thinking you will die.

Sometimes a panic attack can be very visible. You can physically see someone shaking uncontrollably or vomiting. Other times the attack might go unnoticed by the people surronding the person having the attack. A speading heart rate or dizzines or chest pains are not visible. Unless the person tells you, you could be completely unaware of this person dealing with a panic attack. Personally, I have been unfortunate enought to experience a panick attack, actually numerous ones. For the most part, people around me can be completely unaware, as mine tend to be more silent symptoms. I can first tell I’m spiralling into a panic attack when I get this hot tingling feeling on the back of my neck, my heart will start racing, I get dizzy and my eyes unfocus, my chest hearts, and my stomach feels like its in tangles. Most of the times I am able to silently go about what I am doing, especially if I am in public, I can usually get myself to calm down. When the particular panic attack is bad it tends to be harder, I try to find a private place (if I am in public), I tend to also feel light-headed. A few times it has gotten to the point of me fainting. It all depends of the situation, level of panic and fear I am feeling. Thankfully most of the people who are close to me are able to spot if I am panicing and can help me calm back down. For me, thankfully I don’t suffer from them on a constant bases, but there are some people who suffer from them more often.

If you have a close friend or family member who often suffers from panic attacks feel free to reach out and let them know you are willing to be a comforting presence when they are panicking. Most people may be shy to admit when they are panicking or if they need help. Ask them what symptoms they tend to experience and try to pay attantion to their body language when they are panicking. You can use this knowledge to help them when they are silently panicking or use these tells to help them leave a situation that causes the attack. Some people like to be touched when they are panicking, to have you hug them, other perfer distance. Make sure you ask their preferences and respect them. That way you can help this person to the best of your abilities.

Panick attacks tend to be short, lasting less than 15 minutes, but tend to be very intense before subduing. They can appear at anytime, no matter the state of the person, they can happen when they are perfectly calm even. Those who suffer from panic attacks often can possibly suffer from Panic Attack Disorder. If you suffer from panic attaks often consult a doctor or a phychiatrist to see if you have PAD.