Introductory Blog Post

January 23rd, 2017

Hi there!

My name is Alexandra Karmis and I am working towards becoming a Physical Education teacher minor in Health Education. I would like to teach at the middle school level therefore I can also teach health classes as well.

I enjoy playing sports and being outside and am a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls! I love to travel and have been to Mexico and Jamaica and hope to continue to visit more places as I grow. IMG_1588 IMG_3330

The reason I decided to become a physical education teacher was personally having a great P.E. teacher throughout my high school career. My teacher always made it important to ask each student how their day was going, what’s new with them, just an overall great teacher who cared greatly about his students. He believed in each one of us and made sure that we knew that as well.

One day, I hope to make sure that each one of my students knows how important and special they are as an individual. Being a great teacher takes experience, and knowledge of the content you are teaching. Again, it is also important that a great teacher cares about the students learning and understanding of the material and takes time out of his or her day to make sure the student knows that you are there to help them.

The teaching clips that we had a chance to watch of the boring economics teacher and a clip from the Dead Poets Society really spoke to me. Not only did I have a math teacher that talked just like the economics teacher talked in the clip, I fell behind in math, and couldn’t retain any information that my math teacher was teaching. However, I did have a teacher who reminded me of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society and really wanted us as students to gain as much knowledge as we can. I thought that by having the students stand on the desk and “look at things in a different way” was a great little activity that you can do as a teacher to not only keep the students engaged and interested, but so that the students can actually be able to look at things from a different point of view and realize that everything isn’t as it always seestay humblems.

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized

1 Comment Add your own

• 1. Rebecca Mills  |  March 12th, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Hi Alex!

Your blog post really spoke to me! One of my most influential teachers was my middle school PE and Health teacher. He embodied the many characteristics you described. He genuinely cared about each one of us, treating us equally and believing in us. I think because we all knew he cared about us, we tried harder because nobody wanted to disappoint him. He created relationships with us that impacted our learning. The things I learned in his class I still use in my life today to live a healthier life style. The video link I have posted below is a speech by Rita Pierson, an educator, who discusses the importance of relationships and how it improves learning.

https://youtu.be/SFnMTHhKdkw

References
    Pierson, Rita. (2013, May 3). Every kid needs a champion. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/SFnMTHhKdkw