School is finally done for the semester and winter break is here. No more exams to worry about, no more studying to do, and no more classes to attend. You may be starting to feel a peaceful wave sweep over your mind and begin to kick back your feet and let the holiday treats roll in…or you may be like me and start to feel the constant worry that you are forgetting to do something. This happens to me every single semester when classes finish up. After constantly go-go-going for so long, it can be a hard transition to just stop. Well I have just what you (maybe) need!
I put together a little list of suggestions and activities for you to do to stay productive over break, so if you’re someone needing some tips, here you go!
- Work Out. Even though it is technically winter break, that doesn’t mean a thing to your body. It is so easy to slip out of your work out routine and slip into a daily cookie routine. Make sure to stay motivated over break and you can come back to school feeling strong and proud!
- Family. Family is extremely important in life. Take this time to spend with your family. Bake cookies with your mom, play xbox with your little brother, whatever it is…make sure they know you care.
- Read. Have any good books that you’ve had no time to read lately? This is your chance to catch up! Nothing says Holiday break like snuggling up to a fireplace with a cup of tea and a good book in hand!
- Work. Winter break is the best time to work and make some money! We poor college students are always looking for some extra cash, and now that school is out it is the perfect time to work all day.
- Research. Okay I’m feeling nerdy so I thought I would throw this one in. Take the time you have over break to research and apply for potential internships. Everyone could use a good internship, and with some proper research you may land yourself one!
- Old Mates. Call up some of your old buddies from high school (if you’re still friends) and hang out. Now that everyone is home for the holidays it is the perfect time to relieve your glory days of high school.
- Goal List. If you are thinking that all of my suggestions are lame, make your own list. Write yourself a list and make a promise to yourself to achieve everything on it before heading back to school. Not only will you feel productive, but also you’ll feel proud!
I hope this gives you some ideas of things to do over break!
Stay Healthy, Stay Strong,
I don’t know about you, but when I think of “winter break,” I think of all the delicious food that will be served at the multiple holiday events I will be attending. Let’s be honest, the food is never healthy either. In my family, the more butter and sugar you add the better the dessert will taste. My goal for this holiday season: avoid the holiday food hangover. It is always exciting to eat an abundance of desserts and other foods, but do remember the saying, “a moment on your lips is forever on your hips.” Here are some tips on how to avoid over-eating and weight gain over this wonderful winter break.
Drink lots of water. Always make sure you are consuming your daily amount of water needed to stay hydrated. When you want to avoid eating too much, drink a ton more water. It will make you feel more full and will slow down your eating pace. Something I like to do is before it is time to eat, drink a large glass of water. You will see that you won’t eat as much food because your body will feel full quicker. This will save you from consuming more calories than necessary.
Remember the reason for the season. Winter break is not all about eating delicious food. It is about spending time with you family and friends. Focus more on the social aspect of the holiday parties, rather than pulling a chair up to the buffet table.
Find a way to stay active. Over break, some of you won’t have access to a fitness facility, just like me. What are you going to do to stay active? Try doing some at-home workouts that will keep you in shape and burn some of those holiday calories. Check out the links below for some at-home workouts.
Keep your sleep schedule. Yes, winter break is a time to relax and “catch up” on your sleep before the spring semester begins, but try to stay on a normal sleep schedule. Too much sleep causes your body to store more of the food you eat as fat. Too little sleep causes you to over-eat and lose focus on the healthy decisions you should be making each day. Should you sleep in and lay around some days? Of course! Just make sure you don’t do it every day otherwise going back to real life at the end of January will be a HUGE struggle.
Be realistic. Losing weight over the holidays is not a very realistic goal. Unless you shut yourself out from all the fun times to be had, but no one wants to do that. Don’t beat yourself up about having a treat here and there. The holiday season is a time to enjoy life. Make it a goal over break to maintain your weight, and pick up where you left off once 2014 is here!
The holiday season is the best time of the year. Enjoy it! Just don’t let it ruin your body. If you are around Whitewater for winter break, click the link Williams Center Hours to find all the open hours and events going on during break. Memberships for the semester break are only $30 and are valid from December 12, 2013, thru January 20, 2013.
Happy Holidays everyone! Stay active, eat healthy, but most importantly, enjoy your time to yourself and have lots of fun!
“Always remember that it doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you keep on going”