When I walked into the Williams Center, I was expecting the normal amount of summer traffic. If you haven’t been, the normal amount of people in summer is around five. However, after walking in and handing my I.D. to the fitness supervisor, I quickly saw that this wasn’t the case. Continue reading
Welcome back Warhawks! It is the start of a new year with new schedules. It is important to start the semester out strong and to get into a good routine right off that bat. Take a look at your schedule and find a time that will work for you to get to the gym. Scheduling a designated workout time from the start will encourage you to actually make it to the gym and also help you to keep going.
Signing up for a gym membership can be a fruitful experience for some, as they use it frequently and see the results they had hoped for when signing up. For others, it can be an entirely wasteful experience; one where they see the inside of the gym the day they sign up and literally never again.
Even couch potatoes with the best intentions can find it hard to get up and find motivation or inspiration in the gym. So here are a few tips to get you from couch potato to gym rat!
- Avoid the Crowds—Going to the gym during peak times can be frustrating. There are a ton of people there, all the machines are taken, and finding free weights can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Ask the desk attendant which times are generally busy and which aren’t. Change your workout time to a slower time that fits in your schedule and you’ll find that your workout is completely changed.
- Use Every Piece of Equipment At least Once—You might have a plan that utilizes the machines that focus on what you want to see results in, but it’s easy to fall into a rut and plateau on your results. If you make a point to use the entire variety of machines your gym offers, it makes it easier and less intimidating to try out a new exercise or machine to kick start yourself again.
- Take Every Class at Least once—If your gym offers them, you should try every class they offer at least once. This not only kick starts your results but it can also teach you something new to try, as well as possibly introduce you to a new type of class or exercise that you didn’t know you liked. It’s also a great way to get a workout in without the intimidation of free weights and machines.
- Try a new workout every time you go—When you’re first starting, or even if you’re a seasoned gym rat, doing the same workout day in and day out can get boring and make you lose interest in going to the gym. Try a different couple of exercises or even an entirely new circuit every time you go to the gym or even every other time to avoid boredom, and make it so that you look forward to the workout!
Thanks For Reading, and enjoy your workout!
I hope you are enjoying these gorgeous summer days. You definitely deserve them after the long year you just endured. Summer is finally here and now you have 3 months to do whatever your heart desires!
While that is certainly the ideal scenario, it seems like it rarely happens that way. Whether you are back at home or in a completely foreign area, you most likely have some kind of obligation to work a seasonal job or be present for an internship. Maybe you are studying abroad or you have entered the workforce and started your first career. Regardless, you probably have some kind of responsibility this summer… which is awesome! But sometimes these tasks seem to interrupt the fun plans you set your mind on before the summer even began. This is super annoying and can even be destructive.
There is a reason why you thought long and hard about what you wanted to do during your summer break. It’s because you NEED a true vacation. After the year you had, it makes sense that you are craving a release. You owe it to yourself to follow through with your plans! It is truly important for your health.
- Take some time this week to write down all the goals you have for the summer. Be realistic, and don’t go overboard; but be sure to create a list of things you wouldn’t be able to do if it weren’t for the freedom that comes with the beautiful summer months.
- Follow through with this plan! I wasn’t lying before; these goals may be more important than you think. I truly believe that everyone deserves to take some time for themselves to do what they love or to try something new! You need this mentally, emotionally and physically if you want to be a better and healthier version of yourself.
It can be as simple as going to the gym 5 days a week or it can be as crazy as taking a month off to travel to a new and exciting place. Only you know what works best for you and your lifestyle. I can’t tell you what your goals should be, I can only recommend that you take the time to figure that out for yourself.
I hope that by the time the Fall comes around, you are able to look back on your summer and see a lot of positive experiences. You deserve nothing less.
|Stay motivated and never give up. Amazing things will happen|