Workout Shoes NOT Working Out

Hey everyone it’s your favorite Fitness Supervisor Ryan checking in! When I’m working in the Williams center there is one thing that is guaranteed to make me cringe and I know we’re all thinking the same thing. That’s right… IMPROPER FOOTWEAR, there’s nothing worse in my book. Something as simple as choosing the right shoe for the activity you’re participating in can make or break a workout. Some might be reading this thinking “Why should we listen to you?” To put your mind at ease I have multiple years of experience recommending and selling footwear to fitness enthusiasts much like 
yourself. In an effort to let you choose which shoe you like the most I will not be discussing individual brands. I will be discussing the best shoe for each type of workout.

Weightlifting
Weightlifting can entail a numerous amount of things, but for recommendations sake it is
everything short of Olympic style powerlifts (Cleans, Snatches, and Deadlifts). When weightlifting you want a solid base or both feet flat on the ground. For that reason I would recommend a training shoe, training shoes are built with a wide base in the front of the foot and completely flat. This allows you to keep almost all of your foot on the ground helping you generate the most power possible when lifting. The flat foot also helps with lateral movements where a narrower soled shoe would put you at risk of rolling an ankle.

Running
The name itself is pretty self-explanatory, running shoes are meant for running or just about any type of cardio for that matter. Selecting a running shoe is far more difficult in my opinion than a training shoe. There are so many different types to choose from the best advice I can give is to try on as many pairs as possible before you make your decision. The two shoes that I find people like to run in the most are shoes with a high amount of cushion or shoes with zero cushion. Shoes with high cushion are great for comfort and can reduce impact when running. A high cushion shoe can also help individuals who are
overweight feel less stress on their body while performing cardio. Zero cushion shoes do the exact opposite. They provide a barefoot feel when running, which a lot of people love. These shoes tend to be less rigid and in some cases extremely flexible.

Buying a pair of shoes is like an investment for your feet. Unless you have multiple pairs (like yours truly) you’re going to be stuck with them for six months to a year. Take your time to make an informed decision, try on as many as you can, read online reviews, and always buy for comfort not looks.

Stay Fit Hawks!

– Ryan Harvot