Healthy Foods on A Budget

Eating healthy can get quite pricey, especially those all organic foods.  But don’t make the mistake that eatiang out is cheaper than buying healthy food regularly.  You simply have to be smart about what you buy and how you are buying it.  I am here to give you some simple tips that I use.  Buy in bulk, and buy the healthy food that is cheaper year around.

I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Festival and Aldi’s.  And yes this means driving to Janesville since Whitewater thinks the town can live with just a Walmart.  By heading over to Janesville I can get inexpensive and weeks’ worth of food for less.  Let’s dig in to my secrets.

1. Vegetables. My favorite!  Raw vegetables such as carrots, spinach, and broccoli are fairly inexpensive.  You can do so many different things with the vegetables then just eat them raw.  Always look for vegetables that are in season.  In season vegetables seem to always have a good deal on them like corn on the cob right now.
  1. Fruit. My favorite, bananas! They are usually inexpensive year around and can be good by themselves or mixed in with a variety of meals.  Organic fruit can be relatively cheap, but if you’re really ballin’ on a budget hit up the frozen fruit section for smoothies and other meal preparations.
  1. Nuts. The one food that makes me the maddest. I always think to myself how can almonds really be that expensive.  A good place to find nuts at a good cost at Aldi’s.  You can get a large amount of nuts for a price that won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
  1. Brown rice and oats. Both products you can buy in huge quantities for cheap that will last you weeks. You can make many different creations with both of these delicious and healthy ingredients.
  1. Beans. The food that can basically go in every meal! They can be a meal itself or even be a side.  Oh, and how could I forget they are delicious and cheap.
  1. Poultry. Meat can be hard. Although it is not the cheapest product in the books, I like to buy in bulk.  I make all of the product up and split it up throughout the week.  Either eating chicken on his own as the main dish or making fun and healthy dishes with it.

Know that there is no such thing as “eating perfect.”  Food is a fuel and not a past time.  Feed your body with vigorous foods.  There are so many reasons why I will spend a little extra time and effort to eat healthy, nutritious, energizing foods.  You can never put a price on your health.

I hope you learn. I hope you laugh. I hope you never stop. And remember being fit is always in style.

-Karlee Fowler