Spilling Some Out So You Don’t Overflow

516c48b745d6f_image

I will be the first to admit, that I am guilty of letting lots of tiny issues build up until they create one large problem. I am also willing to bet that there are many other people who have experienced a similar situation. Over the years, I have realized that this is not a good way to deal with my problems. When we choose to let something slide under the radar, yet continue to harbor negative feelings about it, we are creating the perfect environment for a future explosion to occur. It may seem fairly obvious that this is not a good technique for dealing with our problems, but why?

When we choose to ignore feelings of irritation or hurt for any reason, we run the risk of what I like to call, overflow. While it may take a long time before we actually reach our breaking points, each step in the journey to that point will be more damaging than the last. So, how do we erase this terrible process from our lives?

TALK ABOUT WHAT IS BOTHERING YOU RIGHT AWAY! If you are anything like me, you know that this is way easier said than done. I am definitely not a confrontational person, but I am learning that it is okay to be upset with something as long as I address it right away. Holding those feelings inside doesn’t help anybody. It is very likely that you will become frustrated and so will the person that caused those feelings in the first place. Being open and honest with others can go a long way. When you do this, you will be able to move on from the situation, and you will also let the other person know a little bit more about you. Now, if this sounds too intimidating, there are other ways to acknowledge your feelings. Journaling is a great way to process your feelings without directly confronting someone else!

It is super important to remember that your emotional health plays a major role in all other aspects of your life. When you’re not happy, it makes other parts of your life just a little more difficult. So don’t neglect your feelings and be sure to spill some contents out of your hypothetical cup. It will go a long way in making sure that it does not overflow.

|Stay motivated and don’t give up. Amazing things will happen|

Julia O’Connor