Let’s talk about Jillian Michaels

By: Abbey Bowen

jillian michaels

Many of us know Jillian Michaels as the tough, sometimes brutal, personal trainer from NBC’s reality show titled “The Biggest Loser,” but she is so much more than that.

She represents health, strength and self appreciation to Americans, and people all over the world. She also represents genuine struggle.

When Michaels was in eighth grade, she was 5-foot 2-inches and 175 pounds. She had gained the extra weight while trying to her parents’ painful divorce. Michaels said she was constantly surrounded by children who were all too eager to point out her unibrow and muffin top. The tormenting got so bad that Michaels had to move to another school.

She had reached her breaking point and at age 14, she asked her mom to sign her up for martial arts classes.

“It taught me that if I didn’t respect myself, no one else would respect me,” Michaels said of her martial arts classes. “It helped me to redefine myself.”

Her struggle didn’t stop there, however. When she was 17, she was kicked out of her house to learn “how to fend for herself.” After learning how to live on her own, Michaels went off to college at California State University and worked as a bartender to afford tuition.  

Right out of school, Michaels worked briefly as an agent at International Creative Management, but she hated her job and eventually left to open her own gym called “Sky Sport & Spa.”

Life was finally looking up for Michaels, and in 2005, she got her big break. She was cast as a personal trainer on NBC’s reality show, “The Biggest Loser.”

After seeing Michaels push contestants to get in shape, critics argued she was too aggressive and rough.

In response to the criticism Michaels said, “I really don’t have a mean bone in my body! Do you know how easy it would be to tell people what they want to hear? It would be heaven! But, unfortunately, it doesn’t get the job done.”

Her attitude toward her critics and her overall mantras for life are among the many reasons why I love  Jillian Michaels.

She never lets anything stop her, and I think she is the PERFECT role model for those who are looking to get healthy and in shape.

Sure, she may be a little brutal and relentless at times, and I know, I’ve done her workout videos many, many times, but she is truly trying to inspire and create results.

I recommend Jillian Michaels to everyone I know who approaches me with new fitness goals. In my eyes she is the whole package. She has persevered through pain and come out of it a winner. What more inspiration does someone need?

She isn’t some stick-thin Barbie wanna be who was born skinny. She worked, and continues to work, her butt off to be healthy.

Overall, my message is this: we can all learn a little something from Jillian Michaels. 

Who inspires you? I would love to know! Send me a message on Warhawk Fitness’ Facebook page, (after liking and following us if you haven’t already:]) and I promise to respond!

~Remember, you have to learn to love yourself before you can truly love someone else~

Abbey :]