Get to know Jalal Nawash!

JN

Dr. Jalal Nawash is an Associate Professor in the Physics Department.

What’s your educational background?

I earned a B.Sc. in Physics in 1993 from the University of Jordan. I received a Master’s degree in 1997 from the same school. I came to the United States in 1999 and attended Indiana University of Pennsylvania, earning another another Master’s in Physics in 2000. I then went to Washington State University and received a Ph.D. in Materials Science in 2007.

What courses do you teach here?

I teach Algebra-based Physics- Physics 140 and 141. I also teach advanced Physics classes like Modern Physics and Thermal Physics. In the past I also taught Senior Seminar and Statics.

What are your research interests?

My research interests are in crystal growth, so I know how to make diamonds if you want. I also work on laser crystals; I worked on developing laser crystals in 2004 while working on my PhD. One of them is called the YAG crystal. These are very powerful lasers, and I worked on making new types of crystals. I was able to make two types of crystals that were never made before, and I also discovered a new phase of a material.

How long have you been teaching at UW-Whitewater?

I’ve been in Whitewater since 2009.

What inspired you to become a professor?

I really love teaching, and I like to see the influence that this brings to the students. I think it actually leaves a very long life effect, and I like that. I think that if a student is successful, it reflects on me personally.

What do you like most about UW-Whitewater?

Whitewater offers a lot of programs and facilities for students. It offers a lot of accommodations for students with disabilities, and I like that a lot. A lot of students are first generation university students, and I think that’s part of the influence you leave on a student and on their families as well. When I go to commencement and see all the parents who are very, very proud of their kids because they are the first generation who graduated from a university, I think that’s amazing. You don’t see that as much at other schools.

What are some of your interests outside of teaching?

I play a lot of soccer. I play in leagues in Madison, Wisconsin, and sometimes I go to Milwaukee. I also go to Arizona to play soccer, and Las Vegas every year. I once was invited to play in Italy in the league, but I didn’t go because of other commitments. I’m also a licensed soccer coach in Wisconsin.

What is your book?

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

Who inspires you and why?

My parents. My father didn’t have many resources when he grew up, but he worked hard, got married, and had a big family. He was able to make his family happy and bring up his kids, send them to college. My mother also is an inspiring person for working hard throughout her life to raise a big family.