Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid »

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions »

DBA Student Spotlight: Stephen Gray

The DBA Student Spotlight series highlights individual stories from within our Doctorate of Business Administration cohorts, representing diverse backgrounds, experiences and aspirations.

DBA Student Stephen Gray

(UW-Whitewater photo/Jonathon Kelley)

Stephen Gray

Senior Associate Instructor | Western Illinois University

May 2017 

“Investing in Myself”

Stephen Gray has always been passionate about education. That is why, when he was invited to teach a finance class at Western Illinois University, he immediately agreed. That one class soon became three, and his teaching career steadily grew to the point that he set aside his other professional pursuits.

Steve had received his MBA from Western but did not have a doctorate. He quickly realized that his pay and advancement were limited by his non-tenure status. After some soul searching, he found there was no reason he should not get a terminal degree.

“Time passes anyway,” Steve related. “And after the passing of three years, I would have regretted not using that time to earn my DBA.”

While the decision to pursue a terminal degree was straightforward, his path to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater DBA program was winding. When he finally discovered the program, its format appealed to him and he immediately connected with the DBA faculty. Whitewater was also a reasonable distance from his home in Illinois. But most importantly, the college was AACSB-accredited.

Making an absolute commitment to the program, Steve sold a business he owned to pay for his tuition and other costs. He explained, “I was investing in myself through the DBA program. I literally put my money where my mouth is.”

His confidence was tested as the coursework began, however. He shared, “I’ve always generated very good grades, but it’s not because I’m someone who can look at something once and retain it. I’ve had to work hard. I’m also a perfectionist, and I wouldn’t accept anything less than an A for myself.”

Because of the effort and dedication required, Steve cautioned that prospective DBA students should have a defined goal when considering the endeavor. He stressed, “Go in knowing what you want the end to look like. Don’t undertake the program just because you think it might be interesting. If you’re not completely serious, you’ll become a statistic.”

“I basically treated this as a full-time job,” he elaborated. “It required 100 percent focus and consumed my life. But if I had been half-hearted, I would never have lasted.”

Steve and Geralyn Gray, with Aaron Kinney

Steve’s wife, Geralyn, made the trip from Illinois to Whitewater every class weekend. They took great enjoyment in the campus and community, and the lasting connections they made. They are pictured with Aaron Kinney (right). (UW-Whitewater photo/Craig Schreiner)

Steve also emphasized the importance of a strong support network. In particular, his wife and his department chair at Western Illinois University were both tremendous sources of help and encouragement. He related, “If I had not had a supportive wife, a supportive department chair and a supportive family, I could not have done this.”

Though it has been a road of trials, he had absolutely no regrets about investing in himself. As a result of the program, he feels well-equipped for a tenure-track career.

Steve concluded, “Based on the education that I received from the professors at Whitewater and the dissertation phase, I can go on and conduct independent research and be successful in obtaining tenure.”

UW-Whitewater’s AACSB-accredited Doctorate of Business Administration program is a professional doctorate that enables students to develop in-depth expertise in a specific business area. The DBA is a 60-credit program offered using a cohort model where students attend classes one weekend each month for two years, followed by a year of dissertation work. Learn more

UPDATE:

Stephen Gray made academic history at UW-Whitewater on May 23, 2017, as the first student to successfully defend his doctoral dissertation and satisfy the requirements of his committee to earn his doctorate title.

This entry was posted in AACSB, Accounting, Career, DBA, General. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to DBA Student Spotlight: Stephen Gray

1. Way cool! Some vеry valid points! I apprecіatе youu writingthіs argicle plus the res of the website isalso verʏ good.

Location

Hyland Hall
809 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

Connect With Us

• UWW CoBE on Facebook - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • @UWWCoBE on Twitter - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • LinkedIn
  • CoBE News - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online MBA - Wisconsin, USA
  • Videos from CoBE on YouTube - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA