Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Meet Your Faculty: Scott Opsal

Lecturer
Finance & Business Law

Where are you originally from?  I grew up in Mankato, Minnesota and received degrees from Drake University in Des Moines, and the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

At what point did you decide you wanted to be a professor?  I began teaching evening classes at Drake in the early 1990’s and soon decided that teaching college full time was a dream to pursue someday.  That dream became a reality when I joined UWW in 2011.

What do you enjoy most about teaching at UWW?  Having been a business executive for many years, my favorite times are when students let me know that they have landed an exciting new job that they think they will really enjoy.  It puts a nice finish to all the work we are doing in class.

What are your hobbies outside of teaching?  Golfing, boating, reading, detective shows, and following my children’s’ hockey teams.

What is an interesting fact about yourself?  I was twice named to Barron’s list of top 100 mutual fund managers.

What advice can you give to students about their college career?  The effort you put in to improving your business and personal skills now will have a huge payoff in the first decade of your career.  Learn to give your best effort in college and it will come easier at work.

Fast facts:

Favorite restaurant? Chili’s
Least favorite subject in school? British Literature
Favorite vacation spot? Spirit Lake, IA
Early bird or night owl?  Definitely night owl.
One thing you cannot live without?  A dream to look forward to.
Favorite quote? “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you are probably right.”- Henry Ford

This entry was posted in CoBE Staff, Finance and Business Law, General and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Meet Your Faculty: Scott Opsal

1. Andrew Flynn says:

Good morning Scott,

I am currently a junior at UW-Whitewater and I am a finance major. This upcoming semester I am taking FNBSLW 345 Investments. My question is, can I take FNBSLW 456 & FNBSLW 444 in the same semester or do you have to take one before the other? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Andrew Flynn
    flynnar31@uww.edu

Location

Hyland Hall
809 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

Connect With Us

• UWW CoBE on Facebook - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • @UWWCoBE on Twitter - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • LinkedIn
  • CoBE News - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online MBA - Wisconsin, USA
  • Videos from CoBE on YouTube - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA