Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid »

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions »

Alumni Snapshot – Scott Schraml

CoBE Alumni Remember and Reflect

Name: Scott Schraml

Current Employer and Position: MOJO BOWL, Owner/Founder

Graduation Year(s) and Major(s): 1987 BBA Production Operations Management, 1995 MBA Marketing

Why did you choose to attend UW-Whitewater?

Undergrad: College of Business & Economics’ outstanding reputation. Warhawk Football…I also played football for 5 seasons. Grad: College of Business & Economics’ outstanding reputation and I love UW-Whitewater in general.

Were there any professors or courses that particularly inspired you? Why?

The late Dr. Russell Jacobson who served as Chair of the COBE Management Department. I worked under Dr. Jacobson as a COBE research assistant. He inspired me to work hard and laugh often. He had a wonderful sense of humor.

Did you participate in extra-curricular activities? If so, what did you learn from participating in these activities that has been useful in your career?

Yes. I played defensive tackle on the football team and I later served as a grad assistant coach while pursuing my MBA. I learned so many transferable habits/skills in athletics: perseverance, training, dedication, victory & defeat, making mistakes, time management, teamwork, overcoming obstacles.

What do you enjoy most about your current position?

It’s new almost everyday. I love being an entrepreneur because I thrive on taking risks. I am also both often scared and excited to take each new step. As an entrepreneur you are constantly learning as you go. So it’s both scary as you come to a new situation and exciting once you conquer the unknown.

What is your proudest professional accomplishment?

The time that MOJO BOWL became profitable.

What do you feel is your greatest professional strength?

Perseverance. I do NOT quit.

What are the three key skills or qualities you look for in recent grads wishing to join your company?

Genuine love for people. Humility. Aspiration to lead others.

Based on what you know now, what advice would you give to your college-age self if you could go back in time?

While corporate world experience is valuable, don’t waste too much time working for someone else if you have a burning desire to be an entrepreneur. I wanted to be an entrepreneur at age 25. I worked in the corporate world in sales and product management until age 44. I regret wasting too much time working for someone else versus carving my own path. What stopped me? Fear. How does a 25 year old conquer the same fear I had? Get as many mentors and resources as possible and find out exactly how to do what you want to do. Do NOT let fear or the fact that you don’t know how to do something stop you. Every entrepreneur who started out, including me, didn’t know what they were doing at first. Take that first step…and then keep moving.

About Jolene Check

Marketing Specialist for the College of Business and Economics.
This entry was posted in Alumni Voice, Career, Entrepreneurship and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Alumni Snapshot – Scott Schraml

1. It’s very easy to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I
    found this article at this website.