Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Meet Your Faculty – Dr. Kelly Delaney-Klinger

Department:      Management; Human Resource Management Major Coordinator

What was your favorite subject in school & why?

My favorite subject in college was psychology. I loved learning about how and why people respond to certain circumstances in the ways they do. I especially loved learning about what could be done to help people work more effectively with one another.

What was your least favorite subject in school & why?

My least favorite subject as an undergraduate was probably statistics. This is rather ironic, considering the fact that I had to take many statistics classes during my graduate studies. I’m not sure that I really liked statistics better in graduate school, but I ended up not dreading the classes. That seemed like progress!

What were you doing before you came to Whitewater?

I was teaching at Penn State University in State College, Pennsylvania.

What made you want to teach?

I had always wanted to teach something to someone, ever since I was a little girl, playing “school” with my next door neighbor, Missy. In college, I tutored other students in writing and decided to become a psychology professor. It turned out that my path wasn’t quite as direct as I had expected. While I did earn a Master’s in psychology, it was a few years later that I began teaching management classes part-time in my local university. Eventually, I completed my PhD in management so that I could finally become a professor.

What professional experience do you bring into the classroom?

I worked for a number of years with a large bank, doing a variety of work with reengineering and process improvement projects. I also worked as a consultant on a variety of projects. I try to stay up-to-date on human resource management trends and issues through affiliations with HR practitioners.

What do you like to do outside of the College of Business & Economics?

I am married with two sons, so I spend a lot of time doing things with them. I like to bake cookies, cakes, and other desserts to reduce stress (Remember the old joke that stressed spelled backwards is desserts?) I read whenever I can, as well. I like both fiction and nonfiction, so I’ll read just about anything.

What is something that students would be surprised to learn about you?

I was a very shy and introverted person until I started teaching. I still need some downtime after I do a lot of speaking and/or socializing, but I am very different than I was growing up and as a young adult.

What is something about teaching that was unexpected when you first began?

It surprised me how much the classroom experiences could affect my mood and energy level. There is nothing more exciting and rewarding than having a class period when students “get” the material, make thoughtful comments, laugh at my jokes, etc. A good class session can get me through a day that is rough in other ways. On the other hand, when my lecture, discussion prompts, and/or exercises flop, it really depresses me for that day. I just never expected that teaching would be such an emotional roller coaster!

This entry was posted in Classroom, CoBE Staff, Management and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.