Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Alumni Snapshot – Sara Matoush

CoBE Alumni Remember and Reflect

Name: Sara Matoush

Current Employer and Position: Rockwell Automation, Marketing Communications Representative

Graduation Year(s) and Major(s): Marketing (minor in Advertising) 2007

Why did you choose to attend UW-Whitewater?

UW-Whitewater’s business school had an excellent reputation, was close to home (Waukesha), was affordable and I was able to compete on a Division III swim team.

Were there any professors or courses that particularly inspired you? Why?

In Cross-Cultural Communication class, we were supposed to partner with an international student to ‘interview’ throughout the semester on cultural differences on a range of topics- education, food, holiday customs, etc.  Ae, my partner from Hong Kong, and I ended up becoming good friends and she even came home with me on Thanksgiving to experience a “traditional American Thanksgiving.”  What made that experience so fulfilling was how we were able to talk our way through language and cultural barriors.  If she or I said a word the other didn’t know, we were able to use other words or explanations to get at a meaning -we even used drawing and pointing when we needed to.  It really opened my eyes to slang and how that may not translate well.

Business Communications – a required business course.  I cannot tell you how many times I have gone back to notes from that class.  Knowing how to write a business plan or other communications professionally is a valuable skill to have.

Promotional Marketing – I showed a project from this class in my first interview and it demonstrated that I knew how to create a full integrated marketing communications plan – even without having much work experience.

Lois Smith – an amazing motivator and professor who cared, I was lucky enough to meet her early and have her for 3 years, I could get her advice and guidance on anything.

Carol Scovotti – in my capstone marketing class, she really pushed us through some hard projects and be the best we could be.

Curtis Weber – just made Business Law really fun and I remember odd law stuff – probably just because I enjoyed the class so much.

Did you participate in extra-curricular activities? If so, what did you learn from participating in these activities that has been useful in your career?

Pi Sigma Epsilon – in my first interview out of school – I was able to talk on so many topics because of my experiences in PSE.  I could speak on marketing and the projects we did, my leadership experiences and even the social issues that we dealt with in the chapter that would be relatable to issues you’d deal with in the corporate world.

What do you enjoy most about your current position?

I’m getting to do what I enjoy – Marketing!  I’ve gotten to work tradeshows, manage video projects, create publications and web content, work on company-wide social media campaigns…  It’s exciting when you get to create something new and see it through to being published or going live (and to work in the field you went to school for)!

What is your proudest professional accomplishment?rockwell

Getting hired at Rockwell Automation, an amazing $6.26 billion dollar company that’s on the Fortune 500 list.

What do you feel is your greatest professional strength?

Communication skills – don’t underestimate this skill.  Sometimes I’ll read writings from others of another discipline and it reminds you how valuable good spelling or grammar skills are.

What are the three key skills or qualities you look for in recent grads wishing to join your company?

Willingness/excitement to continue learning

Reliability/accountability

Communication – use what you learned in school, not how you communicate with friends over texts

Based on what you know now, what advice would you give to your college-age self if you could go back in time?

I wish I had done the study abroad program.

This entry was posted in Alumni Voice, Career, General, Marketing. Bookmark the permalink.