Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Alumni Snapshot – Elisa Gilbertson

CoBE Alumni Remember and Reflect

Name: Elisa Gilbertson

Current Employer and Position:

Garland Independent School District (Garland, Texas), Assistant Director of Finance

Graduation Year(s) and Major(s):

Accounting & Finance 2005, MPA 2006

Why did you choose to attend UW-Whitewater?

I chose UW-Whitewater because of its reputation for having a great Business College and because the tuition bill was considerably less than the out-of-state school I was also accepted into.  I decided that UW-Whitewater could give me a great education at a great price.

Were there any professors or courses that particularly inspired you? Why?

Lynn Hafemeister (Intermediate Accounting & Auditing) was great at incorporating her “real-world” experiences into her teaching.  She also took the time to get to know her students so she could push (and support) us to reach our full potential – a task she continues to perform years after graduation.

Dr. Lois Smith was the advisor for UW-Whitewater’s study abroad program in Arnhem, Netherlands.  She was an invaluable resource and counselor to me then, as I navigated six months in a country far away from home, and today as I continue to navigate in my career.

Did you participate in extra-curricular activities? If so, what did you learn from participating in these activities that has been useful in your career?

I participated in various intermural sports and groups on campus, but the two I was most involved in were Pi Sigma Epsilon and Cru.  Both organizations taught me a lot about leadership and management and, most importantly, how to work as part of a team.

What do you enjoy most about your current position?

After five years when I worked as an auditor in Public garland school district logoAccounting, my current position allows me to leave my office at 4:30. A schedule of regular working hours is what I enjoy most.  I also enjoy being part of a group of people committed to giving children the opportunity to achieve greatness.

What is your proudest professional accomplishment?

Passing the CPA was a pretty high moment!  I was also named “Rookie of the Year” at my firm.

What do you feel is your greatest professional strength?

My greatest professional strength is probably my enjoyment of public speaking/training.  There are few things I enjoy more than getting to tell a group of people about accounting.

What are the three key skills or qualities you look for in recent grads wishing to join your company?

As an auditor at a public accounting firm or administrator at a school district, I look most for individuals who realize they don’t know everything, but are interested in learning.  I also look for those who are detail-oriented and hard-working.

Based on what you know now, what advice would you give to your college-age self if you could go back in time?

I think I’d tell myself to enjoy the experience more, because you have a lifetime of work ahead of you!  Also, I’d encourage myself to take more afternoon naps (I do miss college napping!).

This entry was posted in Alumni Voice, Career, Finance and Business Law, International. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Alumni Snapshot – Elisa Gilbertson