Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

Meet Your Faculty – Dr. William Raabe

Department: Accounting

What was your favorite subject in school & why?

Economics of Taxation – it brought together my main academic interests:  Tax, law, and public policy

What was your least favorite subject in school & why?

Boring answer: I didn’t have one, I liked all of the subjects that I took, just some more than the others

What were you doing before you came to Whitewater?

I was teaching graduate tax courses at Ohio State, and at the local private law school.  I also was teaching tax courses for the big accounting firms, new hires through partners.

What made you want to teach?

A university career allowed me to be a tax/accounting professional, but in an environment where I could mingle among smart people all day, do public speaking of various sorts, and engage in plenty of writing projects.  I also could do service projects of many types for the profession and the community from that position.

What professional experience do you bring into the classroom?

About a years’ worth of summer and internship accounting and tax work, and various educational development work with the accounting firms.  I designed and developed the entire tax curriculum for one of the firms, from new hire through manager level.

What do you like to do outside of the College of Business & Economics?

Helping my two adult children prepare for their careers, and attending concerts and plays with my wife Nancy.

What is something that students would be surprised to learn about you?

I was a D-III  basketball player and sang in the chorus with the Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minnesota symphony orchestras.

What is something about teaching that was unexpected when you first began?

My part of the learning process is very hard work, and I have had to re-invent myself several times throughout my career, getting into new subject areas, and adopting the latest learning technology into my courses.  My students push me into a practice of continuous improvement as a scholar, and I hope that interaction never ends.

What are some of your career highlights?

I have published textbooks and professional reference books for many years, and it is fulfilling to see tax professionals and students use those materials to their benefit.

One of my research articles was quoted approvingly in a Tax Court case decision.

I worked with the governors of two states in implementing new corporate tax provisions, and my proposal was approved unanimously and is current law in Alabama.

I helped low-income taxpayers receive millions of dollars of refunds through the VITA program, improving their lives and the economy of the city.

I gave the keynote address at a conference on corporate tax reform, hosted by the local US senator and a member of the House Ways and Means committee.

I testified in Madison to help get funding for upgrades to the Beloit Snappers stadium.

But the real highlight is seeing my students succeed as business advisors in the classroom and in their careers.

This entry was posted in Accounting, CoBE Staff, General and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.