Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid »

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions »

Meet Your Faculty – Dr. Jeff Vanevenhoven

Department: Management

What was your favorite subject in school?

It changes! But there has always been a love for archaeology. Do you know we have (the largest) American Indian site just a few hours south of us in Illinois, and the northernmost site of Mayan influence less than an hour away?

What was your least favorite subject in school?

I had an unnatural hatred of a logic class I took. To this day, I still don’t know what we did in that class, or why.

What were you doing before you came to Whitewater?

I came to UWW A.B.D. (All But Dissertation) so I was working my tail off trying to finish my dissertation. I was also working full time running my company (I sold out to partners in 2008).

What made you want to teach?

I always knew I wanted to teach, I just didn’t know in which way I was going to actually teach. For a long time I thought I would continue to teach my employees and my customers about various technological whatsits. In the course of my master’s degree program I learned that I wanted to teach college level management material.

What research are you currently working on?

I’m very lucky to be able to work with some good friends. My pragmatic father told me to “always work with people who are smarter than you are so you continue to learn”, it was one of his many “wisdoms” I’ve come to appreciate. With that in mind, I am currently working on a number of entrepreneurship projects revolving around entrepreneurs’ intentions, self efficacy, education, and the topics sources of motivation, creativity, and innovation. I also work on sustainable strategies, environmental uncertainty, and some great cross cultural executive thought taxonomies.

With the announcement the USASBE has chosen UWW as its new national headquarters, I will be deeply involved in the research associated with the members of the largest and oldest association regarding entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship teaching.

What do you like to do outside of the College of Business and Economics?

I love spending time with my family (of 6!!) camping, reading, homework, movies or board games. I cherish it. I also have a group of college friends that I get together with to play poker.

What is something the students would be surprised to learn about you?

I play an Irish sport called hurling and have captained a team in Milwaukee for 11 years now. We are the current reigning league champions as we won the tournament in August. I was never fast, but I do recall being fastER.

What is something about teaching that was unexpected when you first began?

The first year was a blur. I was new here, finishing a dissertation, defending my dissertation, and we had a baby. But I do remember one thing clearly—I should not expect high participation on March seventeenth – it is one of my clearest memories of my first year.

About Jolene Check

Marketing Specialist for the College of Business and Economics.
This entry was posted in CoBE Staff, Management and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Meet Your Faculty – Dr. Jeff Vanevenhoven

1. glad to know you Dr. Jeff Vanevenhoven. thanks for sharing