Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid »

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions »

Meet Your Faculty! – Ms. Linda Amann

Department: Accounting and ITBE

What was your favorite subject in school?

Any type of math – it all made sense to me. Logical and right down to the penny. Either I was right or wrong – no in between.

What was your least favorite subject in school?

Sorry but Art History. My mom is an artist so I really should have enjoyed the subject but numbers were calling to me.

What were you doing before you came to Whitewater?

I worked in the private industry for 20 years. First in a hospitality industry as a Revenue Auditor then moving on to construction as a Cost Accountant. I continued on to private manufacturer as the Assistant Controller and ERP implementation specialist to then working as the Controller for a non-profit firm. I finally ended as an IT manager for mid –size manufacturer.

What made you want to teach?

I began teaching at Gateway Technical College in Elkhorn, WI back in 1998 with an Intro to Computers class. I always would help fellow employees with computer questions and everyone told me that I had great patience with their “silly” questions and that I should teach. The idea really didn’t hit me until my last couple of graduate classes here at UW-Whitewater that I realized that I could teach accounting in a way that was simple and straight to the point so anyone could understand why accounting will affect them in any career path that they choose.

What professional experience do you bring into the classroom?

I have a wide variety in my real world experiences. I enjoy bringing my crazy stories to the classroom in order for students to get a better picture of the topic that we are discussing. From hospitality to construction to manufacturing to non-profit – I have seen and dealt with a large variety of accounting and technology issues. Ever have to wrap a computer server in duct tape to make sure that it will not over heat? Crazy.. but could have shut down a company for days.

What do you like to do outside of the College of Business & Economics?

I enjoy reading books – sounds rather dry but I have the whole story in my head like a movie. Drives my family nuts when I can’t put my book down. I also have a large flower garden which I call my therapy. Nothing like pulling weeds to get your frustrations out! My children and I spend time on my family’s large dairy farm. We milk over 400 Holsteins. There is ALWAYS something to do – something going on…. something to fix…. something to eat… at the farm. My 91 year old grandmother is the head of our pack.

What is something that students would be surprised to learn about you?

I was the mascot for NIU (Northern Illinois University) for a year. The name of the mascot was Victor E which is really Victory. I jumped around in a dog suit during football games and men’s/women’s basketball games.

What is something about teaching that was unexpected when you first began?

I have been teaching for 14 years. Gateway Tech and then Upper Iowa University. Normally, I would work my full time job and teach one or two class per semester. I had an opportunity to teach for UW-Whitewater in 2007 and I jumped aboard. I earned my Masters of Professional Accountancy from Whitewater and my first year back was very interesting being on the other side with the professors. Some of the professor I had as a student and now to be sitting in meetings with them was a very odd feeling. The biggest item that I noticed as coming back to campus was the amount of student involvement. All the different student groups, anything that you have an interest in, I bet you can find a group or Whitewater gives you an opportunity to create a new organization. I proudly serve as the advisor to Whitewater’s Institute of Management Accountants student group. We have 125 members and growing strong!

About Jolene Check

Marketing Specialist for the College of Business and Economics.
This entry was posted in Accounting, CoBE Staff, IT and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.