Front of building - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA

The CoBE Report

Financial Aid - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Undergraduate Programs - Wisconsin, USA

Apply for
Financial Aid

financial aid

Apply Now - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA

Apply Now!

admissions

How to Maintain a Positive Relationship with Professors After College

As a college student, sometimes it’s difficult to wade through the noise you’re surrounded by and really take advantage of all of the opportunities you’re afforded during those four years. Most of us are preoccupied with keeping grades up, making it to the student government meeting on time, and cheering on the football team.

One resource that I think is often overlooked and allowed to languish after we’re handed our diploma is our professors. Sure, they’re charged with teaching us the fundamental principles we need to know to be successful in our careers, but that relationship doesn’t have to end just because your college career does.

I was fortunate in that I had developed a strong relationship with a handful of my professors before I graduated. They were the people I turned to for recommendations, for career advice and for constructive criticism. They respected the fact that I cared enough about my work to ask questions, and I appreciated their willingness to really help me chart the course I would be taking for at least the next five years.

So how can you continue to foster these relationships? Here are a few tips:

Send a “checking in” email every six months. Professors love hearing about where students have ended up, so I’ll often email my old professors and share with them where I am in my career, the challenges I’ve faced, and what I have on the horizon. This helps me stay top-of-mind, should they hear about any good opportunities — jobs or otherwise — in my industry based on their network and connections. They’ll often write back and fill me in on the book they’re writing or the changes they’ve witnessed in their classrooms, and it’s a great way to keep the dialogue open.

Offer up your services. If you’ve been working in your field for a year, or even six months, you have valuable advice and experience that’s relevant to those still in school. Ask your professor if he or she would be open to having you present a guest lecture with tips and tricks for landing a gig or maybe things you wish you would have known when you were in school. Serving as a guest speaker not only improves your public speaking chops, but it also helps the professor provide a more robust experience for current students and helps position you as a thought leader. Don’t live in the city you went to school in? No problem. Skype makes it easy to direct the conversation from afar.

Write them a LinkedIn recommendation. Another underutilized tool, LinkedIn’s recommendations feature allows you to publicly praise your professors for a job well done. Use a specific example of how he or she went out of their way to help you, or talk about a particularly memorable class. Not only is it good karma to celebrate that which you appreciate in others, but it, once again, keeps you top-of-mind, should a great opportunity arise. Make sure it’s succinct, well written and free from spelling and grammar errors.

Are there any other ways to stay in contact with a professor that are missing from this list? Let us know in the comments section.

This article was written by Erica Moss who works as the social media outreach coordinator of Georgetown University’s online Masters in Nursing program.

About CoBE Report

Information about this author is included at the end of the blog post.
This entry was posted in Career and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to How to Maintain a Positive Relationship with Professors After College

1. Great advice! If your professors are active on social media, you could also follow them on Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc. If your posts look interesting, they might even follow you back!

2. Erica Moss says:

Great advice, Victor! Social media is a great way to stay in touch. Thank you for the comment.

3. Wow, marvelous weblog structure! How long have you been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, as smartly as the content material!

4. It was actually great reading this info and I feel you’re completely correct. Inform me if you are interested in reverse phone lookup, this is my main expertise. I am hoping to see you soon, take good care!

5. Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is really annoying. A good web site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

6. Thank you for discussing the idea, I bookmarked the site. I’m also looking for guidance regarding writing agencies, have you any idea exactly where I might discover a thing such as that? I’ll come back quickly!

7. gudang lagu says:

Howdy, what do you think around download mp3 songs? Pretty neat matter, right?

8. K. Braun says:

I’ve found a lot of my professors had respectable jobs in fields I was interested in getting into. The ability to pick their brains and get their recommendation to previous colleagues of theirs proved to be priceless!

9. updatepedia says:

great article about professor. respect is must necessary between student and professor.

10. kiltmandavid says:

Great information you have produced in this post….keep up the great work!

11. JustDashiki says:

Great knowledge has been shared in this post….keep it up!

12. blogsubway says:

Great post.
    This is really helpful for me.
    Thanks

13. Shikha Yadav says:

Great Post to maintain relationship with profession after college.
    My suggestion is we can exchange phone numbers. So that we can keep in touch with each other. We can maintain relationship by inviting several function like marriage and birthday party etc.

Over all awesome information! keep up the great work!

14. Apki Soch says:

Thank you so much for sharing this great info about professors.

15. Neeraj Singh says:

These tips are really good for building better connection with your professor.

Thanks
    Laptop Repair in Gurgaon

16. Wonderful post, I like your blogging style specially this post. I am also a blogger and handle own guest blogging site. I am bookmarking your blog for further use.

Location

Hyland Hall
809 W. Starin Road
Whitewater, WI 53190

Connect With Us

• UWW CoBE on Facebook - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • @UWWCoBE on Twitter - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Business School - Wisconsin, USA
  • LinkedIn
  • CoBE News - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online MBA - Wisconsin, USA
  • Videos from CoBE on YouTube - University of Wisconsin - Whitewater | Online BBA - Wisconsin, USA