On April 30th, UW Whitewater held its Fourth Annual Relay for Life Event to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Twenty-nine teams from campus, local area businesses, and local residents participated in the event.Β The event raised a total of over $25,000 for the American Cancer Society to support research, support patient services, to assist in early detection and treatment, and to educate people about cancer and how to prevent it.
The keynote speaker was Cassidy Schmidt, a UW-Whitewater senior who battled cancer while completing her education. Cassidy discussed her fight against this terrifying disease and discussed why she is involved in Relay.
The lights were dimmed and the room went quite at 10:00 pm for the Luminaria Ceremony. This is a time set aside to honor those who have beaten cancer or who are currently fighting cancer and to remember those people whom cancer has taken. Luminary bags were placed along the track and lit by lights and the walkers walked silently for an hour.
There were many activities, games and entertainment throughout the night. Some of the highlights were a fashion show sponsored by Mauriceβs, a Tug-O-War contest, DJ music, Milwaukee rap artist β4-0β, and the ever popular βDude Looks Like a Lady Contest.”
The College of Business and Economics was represented by The General Management Organization (GMO) captained by Richard Hoffman; the American Marketing Association (AMA) captained by Rachel Seitz, and Collegiate Entrepreneur’s Organization (CEO) captained by Reed Schmidt.
Reed was so committed to Relay and what it represents that he walked the entire 12 hours of the event.
The C. K. Cruisers team won top honors in fund raising. The 9 member team was comprised of CoBE instructors, staff, and students as well as the pastor from St. Johnβs Church and a student representing Communications Disorders:
- James Bronson, Department Chair, Management β CoBE
- Peggy Kuchan, Academic Staff, Instructor β CoBE
- Christine Kutz, Academic Staff, MBA Advisor β Team Captain β CoBE
- Char Anderson, ADA β CoBE
- Meghan Jensen, MBA Marketing and Management β CoBE
- Henry Schwartz, Entrepreneurship – CoBE
- Curtis Schwab, Integrated Science and Business with Water Emphasis β CoBE
- Kalyn Maxfield, Finance and Economics – CoBE
- Pastor John Rossman, St. Johnβs Evangelical Lutheran Church – Whitewater
- Amanda Herrmann, Communication Disorders β College of Education
The City of Whitewater will hold its 15th annual Relay for Life fundraiser on June 24, 2011.