Tell us about yourself

I’m a senior studying Graphic Design with a minor in Media Arts and Game Development. I’m originally from small town Cambridge, Wisconsin. After graduation, I will be moving to Kenosha to work at Uline as a junior print designer!

Tell us a little bit about your department. 

I work in UC Graphics and Marketing as a graphic designer. We design and market UC events with all the printed and digital formats that you see around campus and online. These designs are for UC departments such as UC Entertainment, Warhawk Alley, Roberta’s Art Gallery, the HawkCard Office, Info Services, and more.

What are your goals for the future?

In the future, I’m hoping to work my way up to Creative Director. Maybe someday I’ll teach graphic design. I would also love to start my own Etsy business on the side just for fun and to keep my creative juices flowing!

Talk a little about your passions and what motivates you.

My main passion is graphic design, so I’m very grateful that I’m able to make a career out of it! I think the challenge is really what motivates me. I’m always striving to learn and make each design better than the last. Nothing feels better than the pride of finishing a good design!

What does an average workday look like working in the UC?

If I’m being honest, every day is different in Graphics and Marketing. You never know what crazy things you’re going to be doing–like learning dances for promo videos or making weird food for a blog! 

My typical work process starts out by designing the poster for an event. Once the poster is approved, I transform that design into several different formats, such as sandwich boards, quarter sheets, web banners and more. We print and cut those formats, and then either the marketing students or I distribute them. 

How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities and social life?

I’m a big believer in work hard, play hard. I like to plan out my week so that some nights are dedicated to homework while others are dedicated to extracurriculars or hanging out with friends. I constantly remind myself that the more work I do now, the more free-time I’ll have later.

What are some of your most memorable moments working in the UC?

Many of my favorite memories have been right in the office, listening to some of my coworkers’ crazy stories. I’ll just say there were many laughs to be had. 

Explain a little about the connections you have made working in the UC

The connections I have made while working in the UC are priceless. I have made so many good friends that I probably never would have met if it weren’t for my job here. In fact, I will be rooming with another UC employee after graduation! The memories will definitely stay with me for a long time. 

Five Favorites:

Favorite Vacation Spot: Walt Disney World

Favorite Band: AJR 

Favorite Food: Pizza

Favorite Movie: Frozen 2

Favorite Game: Michigan Rummy  

How will the position you have in the UC help you in your future career?

My new job will be very similar to what I’m doing now! I will be using the same programs and working with a team of designers. Working in the UC has been a great experience for me to develop my skills as a designer and learn how to collaborate with others.