Coasters are an item that you can simply never have enough of. From your desk at home, your nightstand, coffee table, or even your kitchen table, coasters are an easy way to spice up your space and keep your furniture clean. Today, we are going to make our own coasters out of T-shirts. Let’s get going to spice things up!
- 1 T-Shirt (that you are willing to cut up)
- 1 Pair of Scissors
- 1 Hot Glue Gun OR Thread and Needle
- 1-2 Different Colored T-Shirts (gives braid dimension)
Step 1: Cut 3 strips from your T-shirt about 24”-28” long with a 1” width. Please do not use any portion of the T-shirt that has a seam. **Note: If you want a tri-color coaster, you will need one strip of each color if. If you are doing a dual-colored coaster, you will need one strip of one t-shirt, and two strips of the other.
Step 2: At one end, tie your three pieces together.
Step 3: **Tip: Tape down the tied end for stability for braiding. Braid your T-shirt all the way down. Once you get to the end, tie the end of the braid into a knot.
- Separate your three pieces.
- Take your piece on the right, and fold it over the middle piece so that your right piece becomes your new middle piece.
- Take your piece on the left, and fold it over the “new” middle piece.
- Go back to your piece furthest to the right, and fold that over the middle.
- Take your piece on the left and fold it over your middle piece.
- While you’re doing this, pull the pieces of T-shirt as tight as you can.
- Continue these steps until you reach the end.
- Tie off at the end.
Step 4: Cut off the excess T-shirt on each end of the braid.
Step 5: If you are using hot glue: String hot glue along the sides of the braid, and start to twist the braid into itself so that the hot glue sticks the next curled part of the braid. The hot glue will dry fast, so take your time and do a little bit at a time!
If you are sewing: Curl in one end of the braid into the braid. Where they meet, sew together and continue the curling process until the braid is curled to create your desired size coaster.
Step 6: If you are using hot glue: If you would like to get rid of the knot that is left on the outside of the coaster, take your hot glue, and put hot glue in between each of the t-shirt strips to ensure that they are stuck together. Then, cut off the knot, and hot glue the remaining strip under the coaster.
Step 7 (if you have hot glue): Hot glue a spiral on the bottom of your coaster to help with traction, and let dry.
Step 8: Repeat Steps 1-4 to create a set of coasters (4-6 coasters).
That’s all for today, you now have your own absorbent, unique, and handmade coaster set! Every time you look at them, smile and be proud! Display them all over your house or give them as presents. These coaster sets are perfect for any occasion!
Keep it creative!
Your Craft Corner Guru,