When it feels like the weather will never get warmer and we will never see the end of winter, everyone needs a few ways to beat the winter blues. Here are 5 ways that help me forget about the cold weather and put me in a better mood!

1. Have a movie night with your friends! Whether you want to stream a movie at home or go to the theater, a night with friends is the perfect way to cheer you up. My favorite way to have a movie night is by cuddling up with a blanket and some popcorn in my living room and watching a comedy on Netflix. Other great ways to have a movie night is by checking out what movies are playing in the UC! There is a new movie each week with 4 different showings!
  2. Another great way to improve your everyday mood is to start eating smarter and healthier. Eating fruits and vegetables every day is very important to your physical and mental health. A great way to start eating healthier is by switching to 1 or 2 healthy meals each day. Something I have tried in the past is to eat healthy foods for breakfast and lunch. This way if you are having a craving throughout the day, you will either forget about it before dinner or you can eat it with your dinner.
  3. Another great way to brighten your mood is to brighten your environment! In your dorm, apartment, or house, opening your blinds and curtains will bring natural sun light in through the windows. This is a great way to make anyone feel happier during the long winter months! Having lamps or a string of lights in your room is also a fun and decorative way for you to have warm lighting when it is dark outside.
  4. Exercising can be one of the most difficult things to do during the winter. Although it can be hard to want to leave your house, going to the gym for a workout is a great way to beat the winter blues. Being active throughout the winter months is important for physical and mental health. If you don’t like going to the gym, try playing an intramural sport with some friends!
  5. My last way to beat the winter blues is by playing your favorite music. Having a good jam session is a great way to improve your mood and make you feel more relaxed about the things on your to-do list.

I hope these tips help you beat the winter blues and get you through the cold days until spring!